I'm a noob: will it work with satellite TV?
G'day all Big Grin

I want to make the switch from an AC-Ryan PlayonHD to a serious HTPC, and would want to go for Xmbc. As I am afraid to even touch electronic parts (long story (Sad) - my wife will build the appliance, and this is not a joke Blush), I am a complete noob when it comes to hardware. I have decided on the AMD processor, and I will need to look for the other parts as well (case, mobo, SSD, etc). But I am in the dark as to two things:
1. Satellite TV
2. The remote control
3. The AMD-processor

Satellite TV

I currently am the proud owner of a Pioneer KRP-500A (this is the european model number, I am not sure how it is called outside of europe, but it is, anyway, the last 50" plasma model dat Pioneer sold). This has a satellite receiver built in which I currently use. Within the HTPC, I think I would want to have some option to record television, so my wife can look at shows later. But how is this supposed to work (can it work?).

I mean, my non-technical brain understands this: satellite signals are encrypted. You need to buy the card from the satellite company, put it in the satellite receiver, and then the receiver is able to decrypt the encrypted signal and show television. This I understand, and this works. But then, next, with a HTPC with XBMC in it: how should this be working? I mean, the HTPC will be connected to the TV via HDMI, and to my Synology NAS via LAN. I am guessing the HTPC will need to have some sort of TV-card in it or so, but will it then be able to record the signal that the satellite receiver has decrypted? I am sorry for writing this a little bit unstructured, with which I only demonstrate that I am completely clue less Rolleyes

Remote control and AMD-processor
I was in the store the other day, and the guy said that for XBMC to work I should stick with the Windows version, as Linux can not deal with an AMD processor the way it should, and the same would go for a Logitech Harmony remote control. But I would want to go with the Linux version, because otherwise I will have to buy another Windows 7 license, just for my HTPC, and this only adds unneccessary costs (I'd rather donate to this project than to Microsoft Big Grin).

Would anybody be willing to shed some light on this matter? Because I currently am clueless.

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Bye,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'm a noob: will it work with satellite TV?0