[Raspberry Pi] Food Network Plugin
so now it becomes, how do we get Raspberri Pi to offer a codec, I'd pay a couple bucks for it like the mpeg2, I think that's fair Smile
I'd be ok with it too.
Looks like they're using VP6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP6

From Wikipedia it sounds like it was once the "flagship" codec for flash videos... back in 2005. VP6 itself was released in 2003 and was even replaced by a better codec, VP7, also in 2005. The Food Network add-on is basically accessing these flash video files and playing them back in XBMC. Food Network needs to update their junk :D

Interesting note, Google acquired the company that made these codecs and released VP8 as a free and open alternative video format in 2010. WebM, Google's video format, uses VP8 for the video codec.

So I guess the real question is if VP6 is even one of the possible hardware decodable codecs for the Pi.
(2012-12-21, 08:52)Ned Scott Wrote: So I guess the real question is if VP6 is even one of the possible hardware decodable codecs for the Pi.

There exists a software GPU accelerated VP6 decoder. It won't do HD (but I doubt people are encoding HD in VP6).
It needs plumbing in (we haven't had it running on the Pi). It needs whatever licensing is required, which tends to be a slow process.

There is a similar software GPU accelerated VP8 decoder. This may be simpler as it is notionally license free, but there's little content exclusively encoded in VP8.
That's what I was asking in my previous post.. if there was a software decoder for VP6 that we could use for the Pi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Raspberry Pi] Food Network Plugin0