PVR Setup: Acer Revo 3610, Win 7, AverTV USB Tuner, XBMC, ???
I've been digging around these forums and can't find a solid answer, so here we go. Any help would be hugely appreciated. I'm new to the 3rd-party PVR software scene, so please bear with me.

I've been using my Revo 3610 with Windows Media Center (for live TV via HD antenna, no cable) for a couple years and it works really well. But it would be really nice if I (and my wife, and guests) didn't have to flip back and forth between WMC and XBMC, depending on the content. So I got a sudden urge to see if I could just scrap WMC and run the TV portion through XBMC. It would really simplify things if I could just live in XBMC full-time.

So given this setup, which PVR software should I be using? I'm in the US, and use an HD antenna, so I'm just getting local channels off the air. No cable support needed.

Windows 7 Home Premium
XBMC 11
AverTV USB Tuner (this model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U6K...hs_product)

Thanks again for the help.
You'll be wanting to use the new Frodo releases of XBMC - you might want to hold on for a few weeks while it goes through the Beta stages!

Once you have installed that then add TV Headend to it (both the server and the client) and bobs your uncle.

There is nothing to stop you from installing TV Headend now and trying it out, but XBMC either needs a PVR build or is a faff to use in XBMC 11.

I'm running this on a Revo 3600 with a DVB-T USB tuner (UK over the air reception) and it works fine.
Thanks. Is Frodo confirmed to work with my USB TV tuner in particular, or is it expected to be supported?
Frodo doesn't support ANY tv card - I just has plugins which allow you to connect to any backend (they don't have to run on the same machine).

Its the backend software (i.e. TV Headend) which needs to support your card. Provided there is Linux support then it should work fine. http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia lists support for various AVerMedia cards.

The easiest thing to do is install TVHeadend on your current Ubuntu machine now and try it (you configure it all via a webpage, where you can also record and view programmes).

On Eden you can add a new view source with the location of "htsp://127.0.0.1" - it's a bit of a faff to channel hop (and there are no recording/EPG) but you can view Live TV to prove it's working.
(2012-12-12, 23:22)kevjs1982 Wrote: Frodo doesn't support ANY tv card - I just has plugins which allow you to connect to any backend (they don't have to run on the same machine).

Its the backend software (i.e. TV Headend) which needs to support your card. Provided there is Linux support then it should work fine. http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia lists support for various AVerMedia cards.

The easiest thing to do is install TVHeadend on your current Ubuntu machine now and try it (you configure it all via a webpage, where you can also record and view programmes).

On Eden you can add a new view source with the location of "htsp://127.0.0.1" - it's a bit of a faff to channel hop (and there are no recording/EPG) but you can view Live TV to prove it's working.

Looks like hes using windows....
Im going to be going the same route in the next few days.
Have pretty much the same setup as you(Revo 3610, Win 7)
From what Ive read the nextpvr backend/addon is supposed to be the best for windows users.
Ok guys. I have the same box strapped to the back of my TV fir over 3 years. I am a MS User but had to abort on WMC 2 years ago. I was using a server with dvblogic for hd satellite around the house. This worked fine but the revo struggles even with a 30gb ssd.

So I went to openelec and will never look back. It simply works and I have the heavy aeon nox ui loaded for abiut 18 months. It just rocks.

The live tv stuff can be installed as part of openelec but since I have multiple tvs and projectors all with xbmc with a mix of raspberry pi and apple tv 2 devices every one running pvr (or the beta 3 build) I have an old server with ubuntu and some dvbs and t tuners (6) all managed by tvheadend.

It just works. I don't di wifi to these as I stream 12gb 1080p mkvs from a windows server

So In essence. These revos might be old but openelec is a fresh air experience compared to running windows.

Have fun
Damain
(2012-12-13, 00:01)jabba200 Wrote: Looks like hes using windows....
Im going to be going the same route in the next few days.

Misread that as I started with XBMC on Linux and WMC on Windows and just assumed the same Undecided Apologies!

Quote:Have pretty much the same setup as you(Revo 3610, Win 7)
From what Ive read the nextpvr backend/addon is supposed to be the best for windows users.

As Damian.Flynn says there are various XBMC bundles, OpenELEC looking like the easiest, but then I know there are PVR servers you can run on Windows which would be a simplier cost of entry!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Setup: Acer Revo 3610, Win 7, AverTV USB Tuner, XBMC, ???0