CPU/MB for FlexRAID build
Hi all - looking for some advice on which CPU and MB pair to get for a FlexRAID Win 8 Pro (I got a free copy with a recent router purchase from Newegg) server build that will also do transcoding duties as well as Sab/Sickbeard/etc and function as a PVR backend (HDHomerun Prime). Already have a Fractal Design XL case which I plan to fill every drive bay of. Is this ASUS P8Z77 too much, paired with a decent i5? I would love to have a little "breathing room" as far as processor power goes. Or would something like this Assassin-approved ASRock B75 with an IntelG620 do the trick?
The first motherboard is way overboard. The second looks good. Also, I think a 620 will do the trick.

You could install one of these to get you up to 10 SATA ports: SATA2 Serial ATA II PCI-Express RAID Controller Card (Silicon Image SIL3132)
In general AMD based FM2 boards will give you more onboard SATA ports.

Just guessing: if you use the server just to host files an AMD CPU should do just fine.
This is helpful and appreciated, thanks. I was definitely planning on getting the expansion card to max out the drive bays. Was thinking a slightly higher end Intel CPU since I'll be doing the transcoding, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CPU/MB for FlexRAID build0