Win Live TV, Canada
I am currently with SHAW cable right now, I am forced to use one of there boxes to view TV, I want to use my HTPC with XBMC to stream my shows, I can settle with Internet TV as well but I do not know how to set up streaming with that.

the channels I watch are Teletoon, The comedy network, Spacecast, AMC, Fox. Those are the ones I get via SHAW, Id also Like to get BBC1, and Channel E4, which I watch via sites.

Any help would be great. Also I would like to switch ISP, and get cable too anyone know of a good Indy ISP and Cable TV in southern Alberta. That I can use a video capture card with too would be great.
I am in the process of setting this up using my Cogeco Connection(Ontario) as the digital box they provide is pure shit.
Is Shaw satelite or cable?
If cable, plug it into a hdtv(digital tuner) and see what channels are in clear QAM; these will be the ones you can receive in xbmc.
As regards BBC you can use the iplayer plugin along with a smartdns service.
For E4, The 4OD plugin is not geoblocked afaik.
(2012-12-13, 09:57)Nawm Wrote: I am currently with SHAW cable right now, I am forced to use one of there boxes to view TV, I want to use my HTPC with XBMC to stream my shows, I can settle with Internet TV as well but I do not know how to set up streaming with that.

the channels I watch are Teletoon, The comedy network, Spacecast, AMC, Fox. Those are the ones I get via SHAW, Id also Like to get BBC1, and Channel E4, which I watch via sites.

Any help would be great. Also I would like to switch ISP, and get cable too anyone know of a good Indy ISP and Cable TV in southern Alberta. That I can use a video capture card with too would be great.

I'm in Edmonton with Shaw cable and have the same setup. I'm away from home right now so I can't give you specific details however you should get a Hauppauge capture card that has an IR blaster (I have the 2250). You'll need to setup your capture card's IR Blaster with your Shaw box so your computer can control your Shaw box because it's encrypted ClearQAM. This will be during the setup of WinTv. For Live Tv, you setup your Hauppauge for WinTv to get the IR Blaster, then NextPvr for XBMC's backend, and then setup XBMC Frodo. The EPG is a bit tricky to setup but the easiest way is to import all the Shaw channels for your location and simply delete the ones you don't get.

As for BBC1 and Channel E4, you can probably stream those channels using the NaviX program. However, with Web Tv it's more about just watching the show you want, and not so much getting the channel provider. Ex: Family Guy, you don't want to try and get Fox or Global channel but instead get a source that has Family Guy. These Web TV sources would be Video Add Ons that you'd add (like a Netflix app) and run. Try 1Channel its has a broad collection of content.

Since you're in Canada, look into using a DNS service like unblock-us.com which will allow you to get US Netflix, and access to hulu plus, amazon OD, Pandora, etc...

>indy ISP?
I'm with Distributel. 25mbps and unlimited. I started receiving call from Shaw for downloading 2.5TB/mth on a 250gig plan. When the 15 year old Shaw computer geek told me I was lucky to be with them I cancelled my Internet and switched. No complaints with Distributel.
I use an Hauppauge HD-PVR with Rogers and can capture all my STB channels (also with NextPVR). Watch liveTV is pretty but tuning is a little slow because the channel blasting takes 2-3 seconds (you can see that on the box itself) and I wouldn't recommend changing channels without stopping something isn't quite right in XBMC or maybe NextPVR.

For capturing I prefer the HD-PVR to the HD-PVR 2 HDMI is blocked by HDCP on Rogers so component is required and I like the benefit of 5:1 AC3

Martin
(2012-12-15, 21:17)a_team Wrote: The EPG is a bit tricky to setup but the easiest way is to import all the Shaw channels for your location and simply delete the ones you don't get.

I switched to using Schedules Direct as my EPG source. By following the NPVR setup guide for Schedules Direct makes it a piece of cake to setup. Schedules Direct works well in Canada, just gotta pay $ for the service.
(2012-12-13, 09:57)a_team Wrote: I'm in Edmonton with Shaw cable and have the same setup. I'm away from home right now so I can't give you specific details however you should get a Hauppauge capture card that has an IR blaster (I have the 2250). You'll need to setup your capture card's IR Blaster with your Shaw box so your computer can control your Shaw box because it's encrypted ClearQAM. This will be during the setup of WinTv. For Live Tv, you setup your Hauppauge for WinTv to get the IR Blaster, then NextPvr for XBMC's backend, and then setup XBMC Frodo. The EPG is a bit tricky to setup but the easiest way is to import all the Shaw channels for your location and simply delete the ones you don't get.

Could you elaborate?

Do you use the coax pass through on your cable box hooked up to the 2250? Do you get SD or HD capability with that?

I have a Motorola DCT3416 shaw PVR and would like to set up XBMC Live TV with Shaw as well... but my understanding is that: 1) the firewire port is disabled; 2) the 2250 doesn't have component in; 3) the coax pass through is downscaled to SD?

I'd be really happy if I was wrong...
I can't confirm the DCT3416. But I do have a dct6414 and 2 other DCT6200 cable boxes and the fire-wire ports are active on all the Shaw cable boxes i have run into. I'm currently running mythTV and Openelec beta6. My mythtv setup is only about a month old. I haven't had too many issues and haven't missed a recording since i got everything setup. (Had a few issues with setup, broadcast vs point to point and firewire priming)

LiveTV channel changing is slow (10 seconds), but all other functions work good. I'm looking forward to having commercial skipping functionality.

I can get all HD channels except the new MPEG4 channels (Sportsnet World, National Geographic Wild) The old Motorola boxes only support MPEG2 I Also don't have HBO or any other specialty Channels.

(2012-12-29, 00:57)Zeagle Wrote: Could you elaborate?

Do you use the coax pass through on your cable box hooked up to the 2250? Do you get SD or HD capability with that?

I have a Motorola DCT3416 shaw PVR and would like to set up XBMC Live TV with Shaw as well... but my understanding is that: 1) the firewire port is disabled; 2) the 2250 doesn't have component in; 3) the coax pass through is downscaled to SD?

I'd be really happy if I was wrong...

Hey, thanks for the PM... I wasn't subscribed to this thread.

I don't have the news you want. I have the DCT6200 that was given to me for free on a 6-month Shaw promotion of Basic HD lineup for 10$/mth. My GF is the only one who uses it to watch HGTV. Before I had XBMC, I had cut the cable and was using Boxee Box's web-tv but they couldn't update the Flash player and I lost a lot of the Web-Tv content; that's when Shaw called me with this cheap cable promotion. In the meantime, I built my HTPC with XBMC and will cancel cable once the promotion is up in March.

With the aforementioned in mind, I just use the S-Video output on the DCT6200 into the Hauppauge 2250. I don't get its 1080i, only 480i, but her HGTV Channel is only in SD anyway. I then use the Coax-input on the Hauppauge 2250 for my MOHU Antennae to get the 6 OTA-ATSC channels that I get in Edmonton. If I really wanted HD from my cable box I would pick-up a capture card with Firewire input and have a setup like pokebud81. AFAIK the Cable's pass though is just SD.

(2012-12-29, 00:57)Zeagle Wrote: 2) the 2250 doesn't have component in;

Yes, it has Two Component inputs. There's an S-Video-like input that you plug an included adapter cable and you get Video & Audio Component input on the main card. There's also an included additional adapter card which gives you a second S-Video, component input, and IR Blaster input. This gives you Four Tuner inputs (2 Coax, 2 SVideo/Component) with it's own on-board encoder.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV, Canada0