• 6(current)
OS X Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds
After xbmc rc3 frodo happened only 2 times to me the problem.I noticed that files was with aac audio.With dts or d.d 5.1 never happened again.
It has only occurred for me on movies with DD5.1 (AC3) and DD+ 5.1 (EAC3). I have no files with AAC audio. I can test for DTS tonight.
I have an HDDVD rip with both Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) and normal DTS audio (Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow). After watching the first half of the film, I can confirm the DTS audio track does not cause a freeze after 46 minutes (or 62) of playback. I'm now watching the 2nd half of the film with the EAC3 audio track to see if that triggers a freeze.

HDMI A/V out, speaker output set to 2.0, DTS & LPCM enabled, AC3 *disabled* (since playing back EAC3 audio on a mac with AC3 enabled just gives you screeching static). All prior tested EAC3 movies have frozen at 46 minutes, when speaker output was set to 5.1. After setting to 2.0, some movies have played, and some have frozen.

EDIT: The movie did in fact freeze after 46 minutes of continuous playback with the DD+ (EAC3) audio track selected!!! It was being output as multichannel lpcm. Viewing the film with the DTS track did *NOT* trigger a freeze.
Just FYI - we are reading you - just keep posting. Our thought is still like "wtf this bug sucks ass - no clue".
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the head's up Memphiz, this bug has been particularly distressing since it takes so much time to repro. Please let me know if you need any specific data from me, I'm here to help however I can, since the majority of my media consumption relies on XBMC Smile
We would need a fix Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Hi

Well, I dont have any files with fancy audio-codec like EAC3 so I can't speak about that. I did however have frezzes (severe stutter in both audio and video) at 46 min and x seconds when playing normal DTS-movies (H.264 mkvs). It first occured in nighlys sometime last autum and the problem have come and gone in various builds. By stopping the video and resuming, the problem was resolved, but after resuming it startet to stutter again at 1h 32 min (46+46).

Right now (build form 23rd of this month) I dont have this problem when playing mkv-files, it still persists when using add-ons though (in my case SVT-Play), stutter at 46 min. I think it has AAC-audio but I'm not sure.

In xbmc everything is set to 2.0 (output) and hdmi as output device, in OSX I have 8 channel output selected (also hdmi) and on my reciver it is acually a 2.1 setup. Wierdly my reciver sees DTS-streams as full 5.1 (eventhough I have in xbmc set it to 2.0??).

Update: match refresh rate from movie to display is activated, not any of the sync options though

Regards
I can not play dts movies if refreshrate for video is turned on. i have to choose, bad picture with stutter and dts audio, or good picture and bad audio in rc3 also nightlies. dolby plays fine through hdmi with some nighlties, but dts is possible only if video refresh rate turned off, because the signal to my onkyo avr is lost in during xbmc switches to 24p. and then the movie freezes, can not play.

also i can confirm that every video freezes after 62 minutes of playing.

I dont know, why the developers do not optimize the audio engine for osx. this is only one little thing and we have bit-perfect audio. if I turn on "lpcm capable receiver" and in advanced settings.xml put the line do not resample, I'm getting to my onkyo 24 bit 96 kHz or 88,2 kHz if playing highres audio flac or alac. the only problem is, that the next song do not play automatically. and if I play a song which is 16-bit 44.1 kHz, than the song is playing very quick.
Yesterday I experienced this issue for the first time. A few days ago I changed the Audio output from Optical to HDMI. I had two movies both freeze/stutter at the 1 hour 30 minute mark yesterday. I stopped the video and restarted without issue. I have since changed back to Optical as my output device (even though I am using a HDMI connection) and no longer have the freezing. The videos I played were AAC 2.0 audio, not sure if it's specific to that codec as I didn't play any with AC3/MP3. My speakers are set to 5.1 in XBMC
Ok - thanks to dsim's attitude by simplifying things he doesn't have a clue about i won't look into any osx audio issues again for the next couple of weeks (was a pita when i did and i wouldn't know why i should motivate myself over and over again). Well guys i don't need audio on osx - i'm using xbmc on linux.

bye bye
(2013-01-24, 17:02)Memphiz Wrote: Ok - thanks to dsim's attitude by simplifying things he doesn't have a clue about i won't look into any osx audio issues again for the next couple of weeks (was a pita when i did and i wouldn't know why i should motivate myself over and over again). Well guys i don't need audio on osx - i'm using xbmc on linux.

bye bye

I hope you will reconsider and not let one negative comment influence the work on fixing this.

We are a lot of people who respect the developers and try to help as much as we can with logs and troubleshooting.

Thanks for all the hard work you do, for free(!), on XBMC Smile
my comment was not negative, my comment was positive, so i told, that the developers made it possible to have bit perfect audio on osx! thats great! i dont understand what is negative on my post. i told there is only little thing to fix the hole problem, so i would like to help. i didnt have seen, that somebody tells about the problem auf automatically playing next song if lpcm is turned on in audio settings, the audio stays last seconds on playing it doesn't stop, its very similar to video freezing. the song freezes before next starts, so the next song cant start. it doesn't matter, if there is hdmi 2.0 or 5.1 or 7.1. the problem is everytime the same.

I think the fix could be longer sending of signals, so they wont get lost during refresh rate or until playing next song. maybe it would solve also the video problem.

but audio is perfect, as long as it don't stops.

@Memphiz, maybe you're right, you don't need audio on osx, thats why there is no audio on osx till today!! maybe this things should see a developer using mac osx himself if there are any, so they can also proove things alone, so we can help easier, because he also can see the problems himself, and not only from telling believing.

if there are no developers using macosx, so give up the the work for macosx officially! i invested 1000,- euros in mac mini 20 days ago only for having xbmc, so i had to see, xbmc in pre-alpha for mac osx, and not rc3. i never will install linux or windows again for xbmc, but i would like to help to make xbmc on mac osx working as fine as on windows or linux. but we need developer using himself macosx, so the bugs can be solved quickier.

After 20 days, problems with audio engine on osx are the same, nothing is getting better in nightlies as i can see. and the real problem is since beta2!? and now we have rc3 with the same problem!? how it could be?

I'm not developer, but i know that optimizing the audio engine on osx is not easy, but if you do not have osx, this is more difficult as if you had osx.

But as i can see, you are only looking after a reason to say, ah, dsim leaved a negative comment, so i dont want to develop further.
It's been a long and hard road to Frodo and we certainly don't need to be getting slammed specially sense everyone here is doing this work for free.
I assure you, the OS X devs actually use OS X.
dsim, it sucks when you bump into a problem for something you invested heavily on, and you want to have it fixed of course!
But, just like you there are others as well, with other problems, that suck for them too. If you want help for your problems on a personal level, go learn how to program and fix it. Or buy some media center and see if you get what you want there. Or try and iron out the bug and find how to reproduce it, try and motivate developers in any way you can.

And here we have the devs, who make the product better and better, try and help the users with stuff they don't even use perhaps. They put their time into making our use of the product better.
It sucks for them to be battered and pushed. And it is within their every right to say "hey, I won't help you fix your problems" because in the end, this is open source and everyone can be a dev here. It's not like a company that "owes" the users anything.

Everyone should stand in each others shoes for a sec and try and imagine how that is, but always keep respecting what everyone does here that work on xbmc and use xbmc.

Give this time and it will be fixed, in the mean time live with the fact you won't have bit perfect audio, it's not the end of the world, you won't go deaf. But hell yeah I feel your disappointment.

Frustration doesn't bring out the best in all of us.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds2