Linux Linux compatible onboard GPU: nVidia, eh?
Hi there,

I'm a noob when it comes to hardware, but I've been looking around and reading endlessly about what mainboard/GPU/etc. to get for my first HTPC. I need something that's Linux compatible (without lots of fiddeling).

Whenever you say Linux, people immediately say "nVidia". So I've been looking for mainboards with nVidia chipsets. But all the "newer" configurations (> 2010) seem to not have nVidia GPUs. The newest nVidia mainboards suitable for HTPCs seem to be the ION2 boards, i.e. Atom D525/ NM10. For Windows, there are so many options (AMD A4s, A6s, A8s, APUs, Intel i3s, i5s, with Radeon HDs, etc.).

Is it correct, that 'without any fiddeling', the only usable options for Linux-users are the Atom N330/ION and the Atom D525/ION2 (both too old?!)? Or is there something else?

To the Linux users out ther: What build do you have? Fanless, low power, no fiddeling, Linux-is-a-must!

Cheers
Philipp
Fanless Linux HTPC/NAS: Streacom FC10, ASUS P8H77-M PRO, i3-3225, Corsair LP White DDR3-1600, picoPSU-150-XT, 1x SSD 840, 2x HDD WD Red 3TB
Stats: 29W idle, 55W load, CPU 38-43°C idle, CPU 55-60°C load, HDD 42-43°C idle, HDD 47°C load

Your research is correct.

There are a few exceptions, but most of the mobo's that contain nvidia GPU's are of the atom vintage. I'd personally NOT buy something already 2-3 years old and would instead opt for a i3-xxxx + low-profile GT 520 or something similar.

Intel HD4000 [GPU in newer Ivy Bridge CPU's] is also apparently working well with Linux HW acceleration, however, I don't yet have firsthand experience working with them in XBMC. Nvidia has rock-solid 24p playback, HD audio, etc so I tend to stick with that for now...

Hope this helps somewhat.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
The ZOTAC Z68-ITX WiFi Supreme + an entry level i3 could be an option?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux compatible onboard GPU: nVidia, eh?0