Username and Password SMB Issue
I have a new behaviour I wanted to run by the forum.

Frodo RC1
ATV2
SMB shares to Airport Extreme with Disk Share and Password protected

XBMC seems to lose the SMB Shares. It pops up a window (which I never saw before) asking for "Username", "Password" and a "Lock" radio button.
Entering in the credentials doesn't work. This may be because the Username field gets populated by brackets i.e. "(username)" rather than plain "username"

To reconnect the sources I have to add the network location again through "add source" i.e. smb://IP Address AEB/Volume Name and complete the username and password field. I then get identical network locations created in my list and the sources will happily connect from this point onwards. However, if I exit out of xbmc the process starts again.

Any ideas?
I don't have an answer but that behavior is very similar to the one I'm having. The only difference is that only part of my TV episode folders are affected, not the entire shared drive. However, on another share, the entire TV library is locked.
Smile 
@irie - thanks, always good to know you are not alone
Well i can't reproduce that. I went to "Add Videos" -> "Browse" -> "Windows network (SMB)" -> select my NAS.

Now it asks for username and password. I enter both with the original atv2 remote and hit the checkbox so that it saves the credentials for this source. After that i can browse the shares and folders and select the one i wanna have as source.

There are no brackets - what do i do different? (please do a more exact description for reproducing the problem).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hello Memphiz,

You're using >Windows network (SMB) >Select NAS

This doesn't work for me either on my os x xbmc or atv2 xbmc. Using the >Windows network (SMB) doesn't manage to browse to my AE AirDisk correctly

My setup is Airport Extreme + External HDD

"Add Videos" > "Browse" > "Add Network Location"
Enter IP address of AE
Volume Name
Username
Password
It now saves the network location
This means xbmc can now "browse" to the disk, however, xbmc seems to quickly "lose" the u/n and password authentication and at this point the "lock settings" prompt appears (i had never seen this screen before and i've used xbmc for a long time now) if you try and select the share or sometimes a movie within the share.

Screenshot of the mystery brackets here:- https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2768868/Lock%20Screen.tiff

I have to say this is driving me nuts. I would just flatten the atv2 and re-install but i've found the same issue with os x xbmc so likely re-install won't cure in my opinion. I'd also say this was an issue with Airport Extreme except the setup was working perfectly with Eden and Frodo Beta 1 & 2. Issue seemed to appear with Beta 3 and RC1.

I also had this issue and was getting extremely frustrated...i am using just a regular hard drive on my windows machine. All of a sudden after a few days of use with Frodo RC1 i was getting prompted for username and PW. no matter what i did it would not accept them and i couldn't access my shares. Finally a friend of mine said to reboot my router...i didnt think that would do it but I did and sure enough after that it accessed the share without a problem...just thought i would throw that out there...
These brackets are not saved - they are only a cosmetic for seperating the word "username" from the entered login. You rebooted your nas already? Strange that it provides a samba server but doesn't showup in the samba browser...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ah cosmetic.Thanks for the info

I'll reboot the AE and see if that fixes it. I've never rebooted it so it just didn't occur to me and that might explain why I also saw the symptom on OS X XBMC.
I have the same problem here.

I always have used the xbmc in my atv2 using my airportExtreme as NAS. I always connecting to airport disk using smb protocol without a problem for more than one year.

Since I upgraded to Frodo RC2, I can see my content main folder with all my movies folders, but when I try to enter in the movie folder I got the same lock window asking for the password. I enter the correct password but the window never disappear.

I have tried to go back to stable version, but the problem persists, I have now the nightly build and the same problem.

The problem starts today after I update my xmbc version. Yesterday with the eden I saw a movie without any problem.
(2012-12-29, 04:39)N_F_S Wrote: I have the same problem here.

I always have used the xbmc in my atv2 using my airportExtreme as NAS. I always connecting to airport disk using smb protocol without a problem for more than one year.

Since I upgraded to Frodo RC2, I can see my content main folder with all my movies folders, but when I try to enter in the movie folder I got the same lock window asking for the password. I enter the correct password but the window never disappear.

I have tried to go back to stable version, but the problem persists, I have now the nightly build and the same problem.

The problem starts today after I update my xmbc version. Yesterday with the eden I saw a movie without any problem.

I was using the Zeroconfig option for a long time and was getting this error. I deleted thee and went back to add new location and manually typed in SMB and the IP and username and has been working correctly since. Maybe give that option a try. I also set my airport to have a static address so it wouldn´t mess me up

I can report the exact opposite conclusion. I also thought this was Frodo related so went back to Eden but the problem persisted (previously Eden was OK). After MUCH messing about and strange behaviour with one source working until I tried the next source and then the source that worked stopped I tried a different method (previously I had secured with disk password).

I followed this guide:-
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130069
except I found I had to put my media in the root of the <user> directory not the <shared> directory.
I noticed that now my disk showed using zeroconfig where previously it hadn't. this seemed a big step forward to me although I appreciate @ntarantino you found the opposite. My sources now working for more than a day and I have moved back to Frodo and still ok. Great because it was driving me nuts.

on a different subject Frodo seems to crash browsing though my files where this never happened in Eden

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Username and Password SMB Issue0