Win File extensions recognized by the Movie scanner
Greetings everyone! I am experimenting with Frodo RC1 with an eye toward replacing my old home-grown media manager (which was a rush replacement after MythTV crashed).

I have a question about video file types. There appear to be some file types (for example .asx) that are recognized as videos by XBMC and that play without any problems, but the Movie scanner will not recognize them as movies and will not put them into the movie library, even when the file name is correct in every other way.

Is there a setting or table or file that indicates what video file types are allowed to be movies and which are not, or is there a reason that a perfectly good .asx file cannot be put in the Movie library?

Using .asx files would allow me to build a new XBMC movie and TV show folder structure, with the .asx files pointing to my existing collection of video files. I wouldn't have to rename and move all my existing video files, which would cause problems for my existing home-grown media manager.

With .asx files I could also create shortened and edited versions of movies without having to copy or alter the original video.
Here is a followup,

I have discovered that .strm files will accomplish what I want. Normally a .strm file contains a URL, but I can put the path and filename of my video file in there instead and it works.

I have not tried putting an .asx filename in a .strm file. I will be interested to see what happens.
And .strm files are recognized by the movie scanner and will show up in the movie library.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File extensions recognized by the Movie scanner0