AAC Audio 5.1
There is no AAC passthrough and there has never been.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'd be interested if anyone can actually point to an amp that receives and processes multichannel AAC over HDMI or spdif.

Also whether plex was in fact transcoding to ac3 or pcm.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
How do you get Xbmc to transcode the aac5.1 to dd or dts? It use to do this in 11 but I can't get it to now. The wiki says when pass through and dd are checked it will but doesn't.
(2014-08-03, 21:20)ilovemymac Wrote: How do you get Xbmc to transcode the aac5.1 to dd or dts? It use to do this in 11 but I can't get it to now. The wiki says when pass through and dd are checked it will but doesn't.

You need number of channels to be 2 and ac3 enabled and a trascode option should appear.
However on Pi the cpu usage is likely to be too high for that.
no I'm running a fire tv OH WHOOPS sorry was looking at this on my phone and didn't see it was a PI thread. But it works so thank you
AAC 5.1 passthrough isn't working for me also on Kodi17 now based on Krypton.
Progressbar would shown AAC 5.1 info - but only plays in pcm (stereo).
Sad
(2016-01-30, 12:44)doldi Wrote: AAC 5.1 passthrough isn't working for me also on Kodi17 now based on Krypton.
Progressbar would shown AAC 5.1 info - but only plays in pcm (stereo).
Sad

(2014-06-28, 16:38)fritsch Wrote: There is no AAC passthrough and there has never been.

If your receiver supports multichannel PCM the set number of channels to 5.1 and you will get multichannel output.
If not, then enable "AC3 transcoding" and AAC 5.1 will be transcoded to AC3 5.1 and you will get multichannel output.
my receiver supports multichannel PCM over the PC - play all perfect in 5.1 (Asus Xonar soundcard - direct coaxial connected).
I dont switch any settings on Yamaha RXV receiver - this device support all audio formats.

Raspberry in connected over a HDMI switch - optical out is connected to the Receiver - DTS and AC3 (dolby) works also perfect from RPi2 over the HDMI splitter.

Sorry - on what place i had to enable "AC3 transcoding" and AAC 5.1 - on Kodi?

popcornmix - i haven't got the foggiest ( in german: ich stehe auf dem Schlauch - helpless / featherbrained)
(2016-01-30, 14:16)doldi Wrote: Sorry - on what place i had to enable "AC3 transcoding" and AAC 5.1 - on Kodi?

"Enable Dolby Digital transcoding" http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_settings
Thank You popcornmix,
have testet now all options in audio settings - but no reasonable chance to play this aac streams in multichannel.

ok - i give up now with RPi2

Kodi 1 on PC works with AAC5.1 audiofiles.
How about a debug log (wiki) ?

You can't send multi channel pcm over spdif, so you'll have to transcode to ac3.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-01-30, 14:16)doldi Wrote: my receiver supports multichannel PCM over the PC - play all perfect in 5.1 (Asus Xonar soundcard - direct coaxial connected).

That's a contradiction. Coax/Toslink SPDIF only carry PCM 2.0 over a single connection - they don't carry PCM multichannel over a single Coax/Toslink cable as the standard doesn't allow for it.

The only multichannel a single Coax/Toslink connection can carry is Dolby Digital or DTS lossy compressed multichannel. The only way to get PCM multichannel output from a Pi or Pi 2 is over HDMI. (On some PCs you can get multichannel analogue audio outputs via 3 x 3.5mm analogue audio jacks)
Quote:I dont switch any settings on Yamaha RXV receiver - this device support all audio formats.
If you are using SPDIF coax though you can only send it PCM 2.0/DD/DTS. You can't send it PCM multichannel.

Therefore to play 5.1 AAC (or 5.1 FLAC or PCM or WAV etc.) content you will need the Pi 2 to transcode to Dolby Digital and output this over Coax/SPDIF (as you can't carry PCM multichannel over SPDIF/Coax as that isn't a supported format)
Quote:Raspberry in connected over a HDMI switch - optical out is connected to the Receiver - DTS and AC3 (dolby) works also perfect from RPi2 over the HDMI splitter.

Sorry - on what place i had to enable "AC3 transcoding" and AAC 5.1 - on Kodi?

You need to enable Advanced or Expert Settings. You then select System->Settings->Audio.

Audio output device : PI : HDMI
Number of Channels : 2.0 (even though you may want more than this because SPDIF can only carry a max 2.0 PCM you leave it at this)
Enable Passthrough : Enabled
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver : Enabled
-Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding : Enabled
DTS capable receiver : Enabled if your amp supports it.

If you can't see all the options make sure you have Expert settings enabled.
Thank You all - i love you Rofl

I have switched back to the offical release from openELEC 6.0.1 and all works fine!

Why? In recent testbuild there are from time to time some known Audio problems.

I am searching : AC3 transcoding - but his feature is not present! Ha!

On my second Raspberry with hifiberryDAC i see it on build #0127 - but with this build on first RPi2 on my TV would'nt show this setting after switch all those things, reading in the threads above.

ok, thanks for this great support here - think about the problem "AAC to AC3 transcoding" must be dicussed in the testbuild thread.

and at least, thanks you are able to stand to my "google-english
....and thanks for the detailed explanation AC3/DD/DTS/ACC ect -TOP!

Cool
(2014-08-03, 21:50)popcornmix Wrote: You need number of channels to be 2 and ac3 enabled and a trascode option should appear.
However on Pi the cpu usage is likely to be too high for that.

Awesome!! Big Grin

i've been trying to get AAC 5.1 somehow in multichannel to my A/V too, but all i got was also PCM 2.0.
I always thought this AC3 transcoding function was some kind of upmix function like prologic ^^
But this nice function takes each AAC 5.1 Channel from source and transcodes it 1:1 to a A/V capable DD5.1 Channel, if i understood it right?
No re-calculating or upmixing or something like that, just center aac 5.1 transcoding to center ac3 5.1 and so on?
Please don't blame me if it's a silly question, i just still can't really believe this to be true Big Grin

CPU Load gets a bit higher, went from a constant >=95% idle during playback to about +/- 90% idle on my RPi2 (OE 6.0.1)
5% more cpu seem to be nothing to me compared to what the function makes possible Big Grin

Just one interesting thing. Higher CPU load during playback seems to be permanent now, independent from source.
E.g. if there's a source with 2.0 Stereo Sound, which also comes to the A/V as 2.0, cpu load stays +/- 90% anyway.

Does this behavior make sense?

This function is awesome, if source is AAC 5.1, my A/V (Audio Output set to AUTO, PCM and Recoding inactive) is showing up AC3 5.1 and there also seems to be authentic 5.1 coming out of the speakers.
Exactly what i've been looking for for a long time. Thank you

edit: forget the nonsense about higher cpu load also during playback of 2.0 sources. Active OSD was causing this Shy
Quote:But this nice function takes each AAC 5.1 Channel from source and transcodes it 1:1 to a A/V capable DD5.1 Channel, if i understood it right?
No re-calculating or upmixing or something like that, just center aac 5.1 transcoding to center ac3 5.1 and so on?
Please don't blame me if it's a silly question, i just still can't really believe this to be true Big Grin

This function is awesome, if source is AAC 5.1, my A/V (Audio Output set to AUTO, PCM and Recoding inactive) is showing up AC3 5.1 and there also seems to be authentic 5.1 coming out of the speakers.
Exactly what i've been looking for for a long time. Thank you

...well it works Cool ,
the only thing was make trouble is the roundabout way to switch back after playing AAC5.1 in Audio settings - if you have forgotten, no DTS and DD5.1 are playing Wink

....but i'm happy to play my files in ACC5.1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AAC Audio 5.10