[BEGINNER GUIDE] The £200, small, silent, easy to build, 1080p capable HTPC
You can use a USB key but performances will be less attractives than if you use a cheap 40Gb (or less) SSD so think carefully...
WARNING
Just installed XBMCbuntu 12 and it freeze on a mouse cursor in the middle of the screen...
No idea what is this issue...

For now, DO NOT INSTALL the new version of XBMC
BooToo
"What does not kill me makes me stronger"

Shuttle XH61V | Celeron G530 | 2Gb DDR3 | OCZ NOC-MSATA 120Gb | Harmony One | XBMCbuntu 11.0
SYNOLOGY DS1812 | 6 x 2Tb WD20EARS in RAID 6

If you appreciated my help or one of my guides, feel free to buy me a drink via PAYPAL
The Shuttle XH61V seems to be discontinued and only 1 seller on amazon where it is expensive. It looks like this cant be made for £200. Cheapest I can source is around £250 :-(
Just found it at £159 on Amazon... Weird...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shuttle-XH61V-Ba...491&sr=8-1
BooToo

Shuttle XH61V | Celeron G530 | 2Gb DDR3 | OCZ NOC-MSATA 120Gb | Harmony One | XBMCbuntu 11.0

If you appreciated my help or one of my guides, feel free to buy me a drink via PAYPAL
(2013-02-03, 00:35)BooToo256 Wrote: Just found it at £159 on Amazon... Weird...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shuttle-XH61V-Ba...491&sr=8-1

That's where I saw it. So at nearly £160 just for the case this system can't be made for anywhere near £200. Sad
The £200 price tag was taking into account second hands parts (Processor, Memory, HDD)...
BooToo

BooToo256, I followed your suggestions and I'm very happy with my little HTPC. I'm running OpenELEC 3.0 RC5, since I love XBMC, and now I finally get to retire my original Xbox running SD XBMC. Thank you much, Sir!

Build photos: http://imgur.com/a/OMu4h
(2013-03-20, 09:52)pgomes Wrote: BooToo256, I followed your suggestions and I'm very happy with my little HTPC. I'm running OpenELEC 3.0 RC5, since I love XBMC, and now I finally get to retire my original Xbox running SD XBMC. Thank you much, Sir!

Look great, any ideas if your HTPC will do everything below?

Group #7
* HDTV possess HDMI ports (I know it has this)
* wants to play SD movies (DivX, XviD) (I sure it can do this)
* wants to play DVD movies (If i put in a Bluray player will XBMC use it to paly DVD's/Blurays?)
* wants to play 720P movies(I know it can do this)
* wants to play 1080P movies (I know it can do this as per the title)
* wants to stream 1080P Hulu content (Not concerned)
* wants to stream 1080P Netflix movies (Windows only) (Not Concerned)
* wants to Bistream HD-Audio (Can it do this?)
* wants to play 3D 1080P movies (Definitely needed, can it do this?)

Thanks in advance
(2013-03-20, 09:52)pgomes Wrote: BooToo256, I followed your suggestions and I'm very happy with my little HTPC. I'm running OpenELEC 3.0 RC5, since I love XBMC, and now I finally get to retire my original Xbox running SD XBMC. Thank you much, Sir!

Can you power on the machine with the remote?
(2013-03-20, 17:13)solamnic Wrote: Can you power on the machine with the remote?

No, I cannot.
It would be nice if I could.
You basically have two options:
  • Shut down XBMC, which shuts down the computer. The box is completely, 100% off, and does not consume any power since there's no circuitry looking for an IR signal. To power it up, you have to walk to it and press the only button in the front of the case.
  • Leave the system always running. I know some people do this, since the box is small and consumes very little power when not in use. Not the greenest of solutions, but "instant on" when you power the rest of your gear.
I was about to add something about leaving it always on as shortening the life of the unit, but remembered that the EMP when you power up is what does most damage to power supplies and electronics in general, so I'm not so sure now.
(2013-03-20, 11:09)true_devil Wrote: Look great, any ideas if your HTPC will do everything below?

Group #7
* HDTV possess HDMI ports (I know it has this)
* wants to play SD movies (DivX, XviD) (I sure it can do this)
* wants to play DVD movies (If i put in a Bluray player will XBMC use it to paly DVD's/Blurays?)
* wants to play 720P movies(I know it can do this)
* wants to play 1080P movies (I know it can do this as per the title)
* wants to stream 1080P Hulu content (Not concerned)
* wants to stream 1080P Netflix movies (Windows only) (Not Concerned)
* wants to Bistream HD-Audio (Can it do this?)
* wants to play 3D 1080P movies (Definitely needed, can it do this?)

Thanks in advance

* HDTV possess HDMI ports (I know it has this) Yes
* wants to play SD movies (DivX, XviD) (I sure it can do this) Yes
* wants to play DVD movies (If i put in a Bluray player will XBMC use it to paly DVD's/Blurays?) Yes for DVDs and Maybe for Blu-rays. I stream ISOs (DVDs and Blu-rays) from a network drive, and they work. See the Frodo changelog for more info.
* wants to play 720P movies(I know it can do this) Yes
* wants to play 1080P movies (I know it can do this as per the title) Yes
* wants to stream 1080P Hulu content (Not concerned) No Not natively, but there are possible solutions.
* wants to stream 1080P Netflix movies (Windows only) (Not Concerned) No Not natively, but there are possible solutions.
* wants to Bistream HD-Audio (Can it do this?) Yes My receiver (Sony STR-DN1010) correctly identifies the audio format (DTS/Dolby/LPCM).
* wants to play 3D 1080P movies (Definitely needed, can it do this?) Maybe I don't have a 3D TV, so I've never attempted this.

I use XBMC for streaming my movies and music from a network drive. Nothing else comes close to the interface, customization, and user experience when streaming local media. For discs I use a standalone blu-ray player, and for Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc, I have Google TV, WD TV Live, the aforementioned blu-ray player, and a Wii U. I prefer having different, partly redundant devices, than a magical all-in-box that would not offer the best experience in all cases.
Hi! This thread is very helpful thanks :-)

Quick question, would a Intel Core Du E6400 processor fit/work with this?

http://ark.intel.com/products/27249/Inte...66-MHz-FSB

Thanks in advance
Living Room | Openelec | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Man Room | Windows 7 x64 | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Roaming | iPad 2 | Re-Touched Skin
Storage | WD MyCloud 3TB
Thanks pgomes! Really helpful answers! I guess with the 3D side of things ill have to use the i3 processor as OP suggested and with Hulu and Netflix, if i ever use it ill use windows + XBMC combo
(2013-03-21, 12:25)liquidtoon Wrote: Quick question, would a Intel Core Du E6400 processor fit/work with this?

No, you need an LGA1155 processor. What you have there is LGA775. Shuttle does have LGA775 version but you'll need to drop in a discrete graphics card since the LGA775 chips rely on the motherboard's video which wasn't ever all that great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BEGINNER GUIDE] The £200, small, silent, easy to build, 1080p capable HTPC0