What for 1080p and 3D
Hi everybody,

First of all, thank you again for all information provided in this forum.

I'm the owner of an ATV2 with XBMC linked to a Samsung S7000 TV. I use a Synology Nas to store my movies and i have a gigabit LAN at home.

What i want, playing in 1080p over my TV (it's not possible with my ATV2 limited to 720p) and play 3D movies (i tried but it lags!)

I found 4 ways:
- raspberry PI but i'm not sure it's able to play 1080p 3D
- android stick but it seems more like an alpha solution than a stable one
- nettop but it's pretty hard to find which can play 1080p 3D
- home made htpc but i'm not sure that i want to setup a thing like that...

Many thanks for your point of view / reference!
See eskro thread where he lists builds and options based on your needs.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
All you need is LOVE Big Grin
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148856
BooToo
"What does not kill me makes me stronger"

Shuttle XH61V | Celeron G530 | 2Gb DDR3 | OCZ NOC-MSATA 120Gb | Harmony One | XBMCbuntu 11.0
SYNOLOGY DS1812 | 6 x 2Tb WD20EARS in RAID 6

If you appreciated my help or one of my guides, feel free to buy me a drink via PAYPAL
(2012-12-19, 14:21)renocz Wrote: ...

I found 4 ways:
- raspberry PI but i'm not sure it's able to play 1080p 3D
- android stick but it seems more like an alpha solution than a stable one
- nettop but it's pretty hard to find which can play 1080p 3D
- home made htpc but i'm not sure that i want to setup a thing like that...

I have a Samsung 3D TV (46d6750)

1. RPI - I had it for half a year but I sold it and I`m back to my old HTPC (A330ION).
Comming back to RPI -> It plays 3D files (I had Ironman 2 and Smerf in 3D). But the SW for RPI is still in beta phase so dont expect the same performance like f.ex. on a old Motherboard like mine. RPI can handle XBMC but the 800Mhz/1Ghz in turbo mode and 256MB/512MB RAM will never challange a Dual-Core 1.6 GHz processor with 2 GB RAM and a full supported GPU, SATA + Gigabit LAN.
When there will be a RPI 2 with better processor, more RAM, good GPU drivers and SATA support then we can forget about ION/AMD fusion boards.
Overall the biggest problem here is the SW and HW. A plus is that it`s small, powered by the TV, support HDMI CEC.
2.android stick - like mk802 - I considered it for a short time but when the XBMC came to Android platform the I tried this solution on my Samsung Galaxy SII. Conclusion - it`s small and fancy but there is WIFI and no "hard" lan and the UI performance is not acceptable. My old ION HTPC is there better althougt it`s "big" and noisy. SW is here the biggest problem.
3. nettop - no feedback here - new Zotac boxes looks good and there are more efficient then My HTPC and without a fan ... so they need to be a good choise but they are more expensive.
4. Home Made HTPC - if you can then this is the best choise .... not because you will get it cheaper then nettop/barebone but there you have a bigger freedom in hardware because the SW will be the same as in point 3.

As for the future I don`t expec a big change in Point 3 and 4. New CPU form AMD and Intel but the size will be the same.
For sure there will be a change in point 1 and 2. because will will have new ARM CPU and cheap boards like PANDABoard, curieboard or the most promesing ODROID U2 / U or X2. There is a chance that somebody will take the Atom motherboard from the phone ZTE Grand IN and add SATA,HDMI and GLAN and make an almost perfect HTPC board.
Waouw, first of all, thank you for your fast answers!!

Then, i consider more and more nettop and home made htpc!

What about nettop likes sapphire edge hd3 or acer revo RL70 for 3D and 1080p?

Looking to HTPC, i saw that celerons are not sufficent to play 3D, wich platform is currently the good one??

Many thanks!
You generally need at least an i3-3225 or A8-5600 for 3D (or A6-3650 for previous gen)
(2012-12-19, 17:29)renocz Wrote: Looking to HTPC, i saw that celerons are not sufficent to play 3D, wich platform is currently the good one??

Many thanks!
These two low power barebones should do 3D- MC101 Barebone (A8-4500M) and Intel DC3217IYE....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-19, 19:34)Malosar Wrote: You generally need at least an i3-3225 or A8-5600 for 3D (or A6-3650 for previous gen)

guys ... hold up ...

we need to divide one thing ... playing an 3D movie from a blue ray disc is diffrent then playing a 3D movie that was ripped and in MKV "container".

I don`t have a BR-drive so I can tell only my experience with 3D rips
When you play a 3D-rip you get a stadard 1080p steam to the TV so you see on the TV the same film side by side either horizontal or vertical. Then on the samsung you need the push a button to switch to 3D mode and the stream is converted so your 3D glasses can view it properly.

For this kind of usage you don`t need strong chips because even my Atom 330 with ION can handel it.
BTW the RPI plays also 3D rips

Quote:For this kind of usage you don`t need strong chips because even my Atom 330 with ION can handel it.
BTW the RPI plays also 3D rips

Well, not true.

I'm currently looking into upgrading my Raspberry Pi B, since it simply cannot cope with 3D rips, especially in Full HD.
That said, I've been utterly amazed at what the RPI CAN actually handle, for such a cheap price.

But, thanks all for some really good answers to the OP... I also got some answers! Big Grin[/quote]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What for 1080p and 3D0