to all the 'skinners': useless use of 'hide'
first of all im new to xbmc (since 1 week).

heres my question:

why do you use the word 'hide' in menu options? from usability perspective thats really really bad. i mean if there is an skin option called "rain effect"...you have the option to switch it on or off....so there is no need at all to call the option "hide rain effect".

in applied computer science this is called "double negation"...(because you've got the option to "not" not show something). i hope you've got the point

think about it and then just drop all the 'hide"'s in your skin options Wink
cu
To be honest i dont see the problem and i doubt it will change
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
youre right, of course!

its not a "problem" but it is confusing for customers. as i said from a "usability perspective" its wrong.
cu
I never heard any one complain on the forum so i think users perfectly understand the setting
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I think the problem is if skinners use mixed options, so one option is "Hide ..." and the next is "Show ...". As a user you don't have a quick overview by looking at the radio buttons which options are enabled (= they are visible) and which disabled (= they are hidden). I must say I also never really thought about this in my skin but I might change that.
It's not 'double negation'. Double negation is a logic term to describe a phenomenon where a 'not' (negative) is applied to an existing not (thus becoming a positive / true). Computer science using this term is simply adopting it from logic.
Nor is this issue an example of double negation in any way, nor does the inability to 'unhide' something quality as an example of double negation.

It beggars belief that an open source project that's been running for many years and developed by some highly skilled developers might need to be instruction on 'double negation'. I don't mean to sound rude, really I don't - but think about it. The odds are, most of the developers are fairly well aware of computer science terms - and most of them wouldn't ever user the phrase "in computer science...". It just makes eyes roll!

Now, onto matters at hand:

Enable / Disable
On / Off
Activate / Deactivate
Show / Hide

these are simple and self explanatory terms for users, but the choice of which terminology to use is usually chosen to best describe the effect to users.

We commonly use the term Volume Up / Down instead of Volume Louder / Quieter because it's common parlance to say "turn it up".

In the same way, we turn a light 'On or Off'

In the same way, we 'Enable or Disable' features.

In the same way, we 'Show or Hide' UI elements.

There is no right or wrong way to describe an option like 'Weather'. However, if you say "Enable Weather' what does that mean? does it mean that weather functionality is enabled, or does it mean a Weather widget should be shown?

By using the term 'Show' and 'Hide' it at least helps the user to understand it's related to visibility and not some behind the scene functionality.

You'll often see something similar when dealing with permission options. 'Allow' or 'Deny' are more appropriate, and easily understood terms.

There are many things in XBMC UI that need improvement, and a number of paradigms are highly suspect (to put it mildly) but in the grand scheme of things, the terminology issue here is extremely minor.
(2012-12-21, 16:17)`Black Wrote: I think the problem is if skinners use mixed options, so one option is "Hide ..." and the next is "Show ...". As a user you don't have a quick overview by looking at the radio buttons which options are enabled (= they are visible) and which disabled (= they are hidden). I must say I also never really thought about this in my skin but I might change that.

This is the more common problem...

Skinner 1:
Show Fanart <on / off>

Skinner 2:
Hide Fanart <true / false>

Skinner 3:
Fanart <show / hide>

Some take a progressive view and enable functionality.
Some take a restrictive view and disable functionality.

Neither are wrong, but it's where UI consistency comes apart.

Personally, I'm in favour of the more common progressive view, where turning something 'ON' generally adds something rather than takes away.
There are always ambiguous options though... like 'Enable Kid Filter'... is this adding functionality, or restricting it? very tricky.

Rule of thumb:
MOST appliances in life are turned ON to work, and they light up when ON. There are not very many devices that you turn on in order to reduce capability.
The most common paradox of turning something on to restrict things is protection (virus checker / firewall, burglar alarm / smoke detector etc)... usually 'turn it on and light it up to show you're safe'.

well to me it makes sense - in the screenie if you enable the toggle - You'll "Hide The RainDrop Effect"

Noli illegitimi carborundum

okay "double negation" in term of computer science was wrong (it was too early in the morning...sorry for that)

@Mudislander

like already mentioned...its not "wrong"...but there is no need to phrase/use it this way

"rain effect" -> on/off

short...simple...understandable...less text you have to read Wink okay...its just one word...i know...but sum it up and you'll easily get 10-15 words less

cu
This can also have to do with the XML language used.
As some of these settings rely on setting a skin string.
On first install these strings never exist.
So things sometimes use backward logic to be on by default.

Not saying you can't use it the other way. Just depends on from what way you look at it.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
It's that way because of default settings. Settings added by the skinner always default to false on first install or after skin reset. So if a skinner wants something on by default it has to be that way. Skinners can't define what state should be default.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express
If we want something on by default we can define it's condition in the <selected>...</selected> tag.
The terminology is a bit odd, I will agree, but after playing with some settings I understand them now.

There will always be debate on what terminology is easiest to understand.
XBMC speak for default 'on', the lingo used is of a kind that is unique as the skinners.

BEER is a word which has more of a commonality with XBMC hide the user.
(2013-01-02, 06:06)PatK Wrote: XBMC speak for default 'on', the lingo used is of a kind that is unique as the skinners.

BEER is a word which has more of a commonality with XBMC hide the user.

Big Grin should be in the language file - then we call all "BEER" certain settings.
Noli illegitimi carborundum

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
to all the 'skinners': useless use of 'hide'0