Win Trinity A-6 or A-10?
Good Afternoon,

I am relatively new to building computers but thought I would try and tackle building an HTPC. I want to be able to play HD content off of a NAS, play/rip blu-ray discs, and eventually record tv,

Im pretty set on going with an AMD Processor, but I am struggling between the A10-5700 or A6-5400k
I've read that keeping the wattage down should help with noise so I guess im trying to avoid the other higher wattage amd cpus

I like the Biostar FM2 MOBO for either processor.

Im going with this G. SKill 1866 RAM everyhting i've read says to go with 1866 for these chips, and i think 8Gbs should be enough

I think I want to go with a blu-ray burner just to be able to burn them in the future if I want to, this Asus one seems like it will do the job.

I'm going to use a samsung 64gb SSD for windows 7 and run XBMC on top of it.
I've got a case that I am using and a 500w power supply from an old build my brother did.

I guess I could be also using it for light gameplay too, but nothing crazy I don't need to run crysis maxed out or anything. But maybe Diablo 3 or Team Fortress.

My main concern is with ripping blu-rays, and playing HD Content. So back to the original question is the A-6 going to be enough power for all of this? or should I really just go with the A-10?

Any help with this is much appreciated, thank you for your time.
TL;DR A-6 or A-10 for blu-ray ripping and 1080p playback

Thank you
-John
Gaming and Bluray ripping will be considerably faster on the A10 of course. Other than that, the A6 is fine as long as you don't want 3D.
So what about the set up in general? Any suggested changes? or should I run with this once I decide on a processor? And will the stock cpu be ok?
Most of the other stuff is irrelevant, mostly user choice. The CPU/APU/GPU is the key factor in building HTPCs, combined with the OS choice and the formfactor/case. You build to suit your requirements.

The only other key component imo is making sure you have an SSD, which you do.
just build an htpc with the A6-5400k... It's definitely a pretty fast CPU. More than enough for 1080p viewing, but like somebody said cannot do 3D. I'm running it with Windows 8 and it's very quick. Boots up in under 10 seconds on SSD. XBMC runs great with Aeon Nox skin.
(2012-12-21, 19:15)Malosar Wrote: Gaming and Bluray ripping will be considerably faster on the A10 of course. Other than that, the A6 is fine as long as you don't want 3D.

I'm sorry, I thought A6 is far enough for 3D blu-ray and HD bitstreaming.

I Don't know anything about 3D gaming.
Herein lies our big beef with AMD. The A6 Llano APUs (3xxx) were capable of 3D. The A6 Trinity APUs (5xxx) are NOT because they are missing key features in hardware for 3D, MVC decode.

One would assume an "A6" through 2 generations would sport the same feature set but no......
What about watching live streaming tv? Can the A6 handle that? Like if i had a network attached tv tuner
(2012-12-21, 22:37)Malosar Wrote: Herein lies our big beef with AMD. The A6 Llano APUs (3xxx) were capable of 3D. The A6 Trinity APUs (5xxx) are NOT because they are missing key features in hardware for 3D, MVC decode.

One would assume an "A6" through 2 generations would sport the same feature set but no......

My big beef with AMD is their marketers don't know their own product features.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442291/trinit...t_22730043

Apparently, A6-5400K does support 3D, MVC decode.
(2012-12-21, 23:41)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Apparently, A6-5400K does support 3D, MVC decode.

You guys can thank me for this one.. because it was me who actually tried it to begin with!! I have had both the A6 and A10, both are great for XBMC. Windows 8 and Linux fly on the A6.

The A10 does run hotter and consume more power at load, but when playing back 1080p video they are nearly the same, the A6 only slightly better by 2 watts.

I wouldn't class A10 5700 as 65W, I would say more like 85W.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trinity A-6 or A-10?0