UNC Path or Drive Mapping for best results
Hi folks, hoping some experienced users can offer advice. I'm new to XBMC, just starting with Frodo around Beta 1. I've migrated from my previous media center over here.

Previously, I have my network storage mapped to M: on my clients. Following the directions on the wiki, I have everything working with a central MySQL database to keep my library info in sync.

Rarely, the drive mapping fails or coincidently I'm rebooting the storage server when someone accesses XBMC - and it duitifully removes what it didn't find from the database.

Is it better/is XBMC more tolarant of using the built in options for UNC path rather than it thinking a remote drive is just a drive connected locally e.g. drive mapped?

Happy holidays and thanks for any advice!
I have the same thing with Frodo on RC1.

Either if you make drive mappings or manual added the SMB locations, it fails sometimes connecting to those paths. If you go into the files path where you added the SMB locations/drivemappings, its connects again, and you can load all media again. I guess XBMC team knows this already, because there are several threads already about this.
It's good to know they are aware of it. I'm still interested if there is a preferred way to connect, known issues aside.
I don't have the database setup externall (standard PC install), but I've always used UNC mapping. In my case, I didn't need the drive label, nor saw a reason to add an alias to the UNC mapping. The benefit I can see with the drive mapping is maybe if the server share name changes.

As best as I recall, if I don't have my server up when I start XBMC, I don't loose anything. Or prompts me if I want to remove it when I try to play something.

You could always try setting up a small test share to test with just UNC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UNC Path or Drive Mapping for best results0