Win Changing movie scraper without rescanning library
Hey guys,

Since the IMDB scraper was broken by the changes to their site, I've had to consider switching to the Universal Scraper until the IMDB scraper is repaired.

The only problem now is that after changing the movie scraper for my video source, XBMC ignores the existing subfolders and doesn't recursively scan them for new files.

My video source "Movies" points to a read-only network share: smb://fileserver/movies/

The file structure of smb://fileserver/movies/ is as follows:

(network share root)
|_ 0-9
|_ A
|_ B
|_ ...
|_ Z

Movies are grouped together alphabetically.

If I place a new video file in one of the existing sub-directories, XBMC will not find it however if I create a new sub-directory, let's say "NEW" so it becomes smb://fileserver/movies/NEW/ and place the new movie inside it, XBMC will find it.

Can anyone help me with this?

I'm running XMBC 11.0 (on Windows 7 32bit)
Shameless bump.
Really? No-one knows?

XBMC has really gone to hell for me lately:
* IMDB scraper broken.
* Alternative scaper (Universal Scraper) uses TMDB's less sophisticated search engine and so can't find a lot of my movies given their title formatting.
* Can't even switch to another scraper without rescanning the entire movie library (over 2000 titles), most of which I've manually adjusted (title, thumb, fanart, etc).
* Getting very poor sound quality on XBMC 12 Betas and RCs so I can't update to that (yet?)...

It's gonna be a fun Christmas.
I guess I don't understand why you can't change scrapers without updating your entire library. I've changed scrapers several times for my movie sources without any problem and without having to update anything. You've already scraped once, it's made all the fanart and nfo files. Once you have that in place, there's absolutely no reason to have to rescrape, update or even have a scraper selected unless you're adding new movies. Maybe nobody has answered your question because it's slightly confusing.
And, I know you've probably read this many, many, many times, but if you followed a more conventional naming and file/folder structure, 99% of your problems would like be eliminated.

drive\movies
\Movie.Name (year)\
movie.name.<ext>

Then set up your movie source with this checked: Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title

That's the way. Sure, you can do it other ways, but then you're on here complaining about how it doesn't work right. I have 2000 movies and 19000 tv shows, I've never run into a problem because I follow a conventional naming method.
You can simply change scraper by editing the source you had added in the first place without rescrape
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-12-25, 00:16)Martijn Wrote: You can simply change scraper by editing the source you had added in the first place without rescrape

Unfortunately, this probably only works for those with a vanilla setup where all movies are stored in one directory... something I'd like to avoid given the number of files I'm hosting.

I'm wondering if I should report this as a bug.
(2012-12-25, 01:36)forcedalias Wrote:
(2012-12-25, 00:16)Martijn Wrote: You can simply change scraper by editing the source you had added in the first place without rescrape

Unfortunately, this probably only works for those with a vanilla setup where all movies are stored in one directory... something I'd like to avoid given the number of files I'm hosting.

No this always works
Besides filing a bug won't help since nothing will be fixed for 11.0
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-12-25, 00:08)clubwerks Wrote: I guess I don't understand why you can't change scrapers without updating your entire library. I've changed scrapers several times for my movie sources without any problem and without having to update anything. You've already scraped once, it's made all the fanart and nfo files. Once you have that in place, there's absolutely no reason to have to rescrape, update or even have a scraper selected unless you're adding new movies. Maybe nobody has answered your question because it's slightly confusing.
And, I know you've probably read this many, many, many times, but if you followed a more conventional naming and file/folder structure, 99% of your problems would like be eliminated.

drive\movies
\Movie.Name (year)\
movie.name.<ext>

Then set up your movie source with this checked: Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title

That's the way. Sure, you can do it other ways, but then you're on here complaining about how it doesn't work right. I have 2000 movies and 19000 tv shows, I've never run into a problem because I follow a conventional naming method.

I think because XBMC's not coded to deal with every situation, like the file structure / naming convention being different from what they recommend. Yes, placing all the files in one directory and giving them simple names will fix most problems but it's less than ideal for some XBMC users (like myself). It needs to be able to handle these situations.

(2012-12-25, 01:46)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-12-25, 01:36)forcedalias Wrote:

No this always works
Besides filing a bug won't help since nothing will be fixed for 11.0

Surely every programmer would concede that it's always possible for software to fail.

Anyway, I've also tested this on XBMC 12 RC1, still the same result so I know it doesn't work.

I'll try enabling debug mode and see if anything useful comes up in the log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Changing movie scraper without rescanning library0