XBMC: Serving and A Module Approach.
I'm following the "xbmc minified as a server?" thread for some time now and I like the idea of an xbmc instance serving library contents but I don't quite like the idea of one server approach, using sql db and nfs/smb shares.

I believe that the best solution is to have every instance of xbmc able to serve others through the upnp protocol (the current existing state), with server features like library, addons and settings management through web browser, user access control and etc...

The only difference between a desktop instance of xbmc to a headless one should be the enabled features chosen when compiled or the parameters given when starting the instance.
I'm against the specialized server approach as done with plex.

With a module approach each xbmc instance running would be aware to the enabled modules, for example if I would connect through webui to an xbmc instance that running without a video/audio player I wouldn't be able to play video on the device.

Another possibility with the module approach would be to have an audio instance running on nas or a dedicated device, so no gui and no video player would be included.
The advantage in this solution is that this isn't a hardware specific solution it can be done with any linux device (low powered preferable).
One can take a raspberry pi, usb ir receiver + remote, usb lcd matrix add proper packaging and his done.
Replacing the raspberry pi board with another linux enable device wouldn't require any other changes.
Agreed, and I believe this is the current favored line of thinking for anything like an "XBMC server". It would most likely be a headless version of normal XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC: Serving and A Module Approach.0