catalog movies on DVD
How do you scrape and add movies that are not on a hard drive, but are on a DVD or Bluray disc? I believe this is called "local source".

I know I read somewhere that xbmc will prompt for you to insert the DVD, put how does it know the movie is not on a hard drive?
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
Well looks like I can answer my own post. So here goes!

Scrape and Play movies from DVD Drive
=====================================

First configure the XBMC settings in: Setting>Videos>DVD

To Scrape
---------
1) Open Ember Media Manager
2) Select the Tools menu
3) Select "Offline Media Manager"
4) Select an existing source, which is the source folder for movies on hard drive
5) Enter the name of the movie in "Place holder folder/Movie name"
6) Click "Search IMDB"
7) Select movie and scrape as normal
8) Modify the text in "Place holder video tagline" as desired. For instance, I have DVD's in the original cases in drawers and others in hanging files within aluminum cases. So I'll change the text to read either Insert "DVD From: Case 1" or "Insert DVD From: Drawer" as needed.
9) Play around with the other settings in the bottom right corner to further tweak as desired. For instance, the slider on the right edge adjusts the "tagline top" value which controls the vertical position of the tagline text.

NOTE: A movie folder will be added to the selected source hard drive folder with the artwork and nfo added. There will also be an avi created of the movie name such as "The Courier [offline].avi". The length of the movie will vary depending on the amount of text entered into the "place holder video tagline" field. The avi is simply a fancy prompt for you to insert the DVD. Notice the year will be removed from the folder and movie name.

IMPORTANT: After the scraping and movie creation is completed, be sure to open the movie in EMM to Edit it (double click it or Ctrl+E) and chose the "Extrathumbs" tab and then "Transfer Now" or you won't get any extra fanart!

To Play DVD
-----------
1) Select play
2) Insert the DVD

NOTE: Do not insert the DVD before selecting Play.

I'm open to comments in case I missed something or should someone feel there is a better way.

EDIT: I added some more detail to the original steps above.

Thank you.

Ken

HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
catalog movies on DVD0