Slide Show crashing on Windows
No, I don't have a debug log, I'm working on it honestly but it's an intermittant issue and I'm having trouble replicating it when debug logging is enabled. I'll work on it.

Anyway, ever since the slide show screensaver was replaced, I can't use it because it intermittantly crashes XBMC on me. I've had this issue since it was introduced and on all versions since up to RC2. It works MOST of the time but on occasion, at least once a day, I'll come back to XBMC to find it reporting that it's crashed and the screen black. I need to use none, black or dim to avoid this.

I'll provide more information when I can but right now I'm curious if anyone else has seen this issue.
Looks like I finally replicated it. This is me launching the screensaver from the screensaver settings, but it'll happen when it engages automatically. So you have me pressing 'Ok' on my remote and every event is what was in the log until the log ends due to XBMC crashing. Is there any more information I can supply to help?

Quote:12:32:57 T:4296 DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: return (f00d) pressed, action is Select
12:32:57 T:4296 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScreensaverActivated from xbmc
12:32:57 T:4296 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 4, from xbmc, message OnScreensaverActivated
12:32:57 T:4296 DEBUG: Activating window ID: 12900
12:32:57 T:4296 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (SettingsCategory.xml) ------
12:32:57 T:4296 DEBUG: ------ Window Init () ------
12:32:57 T:4296 INFO: initializing python engine.
12:32:57 T:4296 DEBUG: new python thread created. id=30
12:32:57 T:5028 NOTICE: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: false
12:32:57 T:5028 DEBUG: Python thread: start processing
12:32:57 T:5028 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
12:32:57 T:5028 DEBUG: XBPyThread:Tonguerocess - The source file to load is C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\screensaver.xbmc.slideshow\default.py
12:32:57 T:5028 DEBUG: XBPyThread:Tonguerocess - Setting the Python path to C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\screensaver.xbmc.slideshow;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.xbmcswift\lib;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.demjson\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\addons\script.module.simplejson\lib;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\weather.wunderground\resources\lib\wunderground;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.beautifulsoup\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\addons\script.module.pil\lib;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.common.plugin.cache\lib;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.simple.downloader\lib;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.free.cable.database\lib;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.coveapi\lib;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.parsedom\lib;C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.elementtree\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\addons\script.module.pysqlite\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\system\python\DLLs;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\system\python\Lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\python26.zip;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\system\python\lib\plat-win;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\system\python\lib\lib-tk;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\system\python;C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC v12 Alpha2\system\python\lib\site-packages;
12:32:57 T:5028 DEBUG: XBPyThread:Tonguerocess - Entering source directory C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\screensaver.xbmc.slideshow
12:32:57 T:5028 DEBUG: Instantiating addon using automatically obtained id of "screensaver.xbmc.slideshow" dependent on version 1.0 of the xbmc.python api
12:32:57 T:5028 DEBUG: NEWADDON PythonCallbackHandler construction with PyThreadState 0x8b79158
thanx, could you put the entire Debug Log on xbmclogs.com?

did xbmc also generate a crashlog perhaps?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
There doesn't appear to be any crashlog generated. I see some crashlogs but they're dated from November when I was using Alpha6 and I'm unsure what crash those are related to. Is there something I need to do to force XBMC to generate crashlogs or should it be automatic?

Here's the entire log file from program startup, though it spans about 3hrs and is 250K or so. Sorry. Smile

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=24241
Please try latest nightly version since there were a bunch of fixes done and see if it still happens
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
^^ yup

i'd really like to know if anyone is still getting crashes with the screensaver
in the latest nightly builds: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Regarding screensaver slideshow crashes:
Follow the white donkey (or was it a rabbit) http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13859
Testers wanted
If you had slideshow screensaver crashes
please test
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dczpers74ppgua...851-dx.exe
Testers wanted
please test

(Windows only)
(2012-12-31, 17:16)Martijn Wrote: Testers wanted
please test

(Windows only)
Thanks for the build Martijn.
Testing now, so far it didn´t crash.
(2012-12-31, 20:21)solidsatras Wrote:
(2012-12-31, 17:16)Martijn Wrote: Testers wanted
please test

(Windows only)
Thanks for the build Martijn.
Testing now, so far it didn´t crash.
could you please, please, please also test if this also fixes your next aired problem in combination with the dim screensaver? :-)
(2012-12-31, 20:34)ronie Wrote: could you please, please, please also test if this also fixes your next aired problem in combination with the dim screensaver? :-)
@Martijn
seems to be a very stable build. Had it running for serveral hours and it didn´t crash once.
The only thing I could find in the log is this:
Code:
08:38:49 T:2488   ERROR: Failed to run the gc to clean up after running prior to shutting down the Interpreter C:\Users\Tobias\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\screensaver.xbmc.slideshow\default.py
08:38:49 T:2488 WARNING: The python script "C:\Users\Tobias\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\screensaver.xbmc.slideshow\default.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: Monitor,WindowXMLDialog
but i´m quite the novice with logs.

@ronie
For the heck of it, I can´t reproduce the nextAired crashes anymore.
Because I went from 20121229-d446c0a to 20121229-51e87c7 between the crash and the working scan.
I even went back a few nightlies and deleted
addon_data/script.tv.show.next.aired
every time to get a new scan.

I have come to the conclusion that it had something to do with the very long scan time on that day.(TVrage related maybe?)
It took the script nearly 8 minutes to finish my ~80 TV Shows. Now it scans in under a minute.
You can see in the video that the dim-screensaver did kick in and while in that state the script finishes and crash.
well, I spoke too soon. I can reproduce the crash with an older nightlie.
Just had to clog my bandwith with a background download so the scan would be delayed.
(btw, once the scan speed is slow, it doesn´t increase even if the download is stopped)

So I did the exact same thing with Martijn´s build and it didn´t crash!
Whatever you changed seems to have fixed this issue.
The new year isn´t even a day old and already a victory. What a great start Smile
(2013-01-01, 11:02)solidsatras Wrote: well, I spoke too soon. I can reproduce the crash with an older nightlie.
Just had to clog my bandwith with a background download so the scan would be delayed.
(btw, once the scan speed is slow, it doesn´t increase even if the download is stopped)

So I did the exact same thing with Martijn´s build and it didn´t crash!
Whatever you changed seems to have fixed this issue.
The new year isn´t even a day old and already a victory. What a great start Smile

thanx a lot for all the testing and feedback mate.

happy new year ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slide Show crashing on Windows0