[Windows] [Solved] How to turn UnblockUS DNS On/Off from within XBMC
Hi

I'm hoping to pick your brain... I'm in Canada and use Unblock-Us to gain access to US Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora content. The only issue is that when I use their DNS service, I get Geo-blocked from Canadian content.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to create a shortcut or file that if I run with Advanced Launcher it would set my DNS to Unblock's, and when I run a different file it would change my DNS settings back to my ISP's? Would this be an appropriate way to approach this?

I was also thinking of perhaps creating a Hot-Key (Like Windows Key + F10) and it would run Unblock's Windows Taskbar software to turn on the DNS, but then the turning it off would be tricky and turning it off doesn't always work with their taskbar program

Put this in a batch file:

netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" static x.x.x.x

Change Local Area Connection to match the name of your network card, and change x.x.x.x to be your desired DNS server.

Leave the double quotes.
(2012-12-28, 16:53)GomezAddams Wrote: Put this in a batch file:

netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" static x.x.x.x

Change Local Area Connection to match the name of your network card, and change x.x.x.x to be your desired DNS server.

Leave the double quotes.

Brilliant! This is exactly what I was looking for! This works perfectly! You made my day!

I also found this source: http://tweaks.com/windows/40339/configur...mand-line/

This is how I set it up in case someone else wants to do the same:

1) Install Advanced Launcher in XBMC (I use it to launch Windows Metro Netflix)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724

2) In CMD prompt (Windows 8: Start (Bottom left)-> Right Click -> Command Prompt, Other Windows: Start->Run->CMD) type "ipconfig /all" and write down your original ISP's DNS setting.

3) Go to the folder where you want your batch file to execute & create a text document

4) Type
"netsh interface ip set dns name="Ethernet" static 208.122.23.22
netsh interface ip add dns name="Ethernet" 208.122.23.23 index=2"

Note: as mentioned, Ethenet need to be the name of your connection. In my setup with Windows 8, it was called Ethernet by default but it seems like it's mostly called Local Area Connection in other Windows.

The 208.122.23.22 and 208.122.23.23 are your primary and secondary DNS numbers, these are just the ones for Unblock-us.

Note: The file will only work when run as an administrator.

5) Save the file (I called mine "USConnection") rename the .txt to .bat

6) Test the file to make sure it works:
a) in CMD prompt (Windows 8: Start (Bottom left)-> Right Click -> Command Prompt, Other Windows: Start->Run->CMD) type "ipconfig /all" and see your DNS setting.
b) Right click on the USConnection.bat file and run as administrator (You should see a DOS screen open and close)
c) back in CMD prompt run "ipconfig /all" again and you should see that your DNS settings have changed.

7) Once you know it works, you need to create a shortcut that will run the file with administrative privileges:
a) right click the USConnection.bat file and select "Create shortcut"
b) right click the shortcut -> Properties -> Advanced... -> Check the "Run as administrator" box

8) Go into Advanced Launcher and add the USConnection shortcut file as a launch item

9) Find an American Flag image on Google Images, save it to the folder and set it as its Thumbnail image:
a) go to the USConnection icon in Advanced Launcher and select "C" -> Edit Launcher -> Change Thumbnail Image -> Select Local Image -> point it to your flag image.

10) Do it all again but set the DNS number's to your local ISP's numbers that were written down in step #2. Also name it LocalConnection and use your contry's flag.

Congratulations, you can now switch your DNS service ON and OFF as required so you can access your local and geo-blocked content easily from within XBMC.

Many thanks to GomezAddams for pointing me in the right direction.
This looks great a-team! However, I am still having some issues with the overall setup. BTW, I am a newb at this...

I was able to create the initial batch file that changes my DNS to the US connection. Unfortunately, I was not able to finalize the setup in XBMC. Would you be able to provide more detailed instructions on how to setup this application in XBMC/Advance Launcher.

Also, when creating the local network batch file, it seems to only add an additional DNS server. It doesn't remove the original US DNS address... Thus, I am unable to return to my original connection.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance
If you want it to go automatically back to XBMC simply add: "Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\xbmc.exe" to the script so it would be:

"netsh interface ip set dns name="Ethernet" static 208.122.23.22
netsh interface ip add dns name="Ethernet" 208.122.23.23 index=2

Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\xbmc.exe" "

Note: you need the "" after the Start and around the file path ("C:\...")
(2013-02-11, 01:02)SargeCT Wrote: This looks great a-team! However, I am still having some issues with the overall setup. BTW, I am a newb at this...

I was able to create the initial batch file that changes my DNS to the US connection. Unfortunately, I was not able to finalize the setup in XBMC. Would you be able to provide more detailed instructions on how to setup this application in XBMC/Advance Launcher.

Also, when creating the local network batch file, it seems to only add an additional DNS server. It doesn't remove the original US DNS address... Thus, I am unable to return to my original connection.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Hi Sarge, I wasn't subscribed to this thread for some reason so I didn't know you posted. Do you still have issues with setting up the Advanced Launcher Portion?

To add the link in Advanced Launcher do the following:
1) Go into Advanced Launcher App
2) Move selection off the "..."
3) Hit the Context Menu button ("C" Key on keyboard)
4) Select "Create New Launcher"
5) Select "Standalone Launcher'
6) Go through your C: Directory and point it to the Shortcut file you created (Should be the *.ink, not *.bat)
7) Click "Done" on Application arguments page
8) Don't worry about Setting Platform, just select any
9) Select your Thumbnail picture
10) Don't worry about selecting a fanart

Done!
Can this be done on an Apple TV - I have been looking for a workaround for ages?
TY
My idea is to use this for change the location of NEtflix (currently you have to go to the Unblock US website and change the location from there). You dont have to reboot xbmc using this method?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] [Solved] How to turn UnblockUS DNS On/Off from within XBMC0