WIP Anyone use a mini touchscreen monitor with XBMC?
Looking at purchasing a MIMO 720-S to use as the MAIN/ONLY display for my computer build. Wondering if anyone has done this and if so how it worked.

I have Windows 7 installed and XBMC on a FM1 board with a AMD A6-3500 CPU and 4 gigs of DDR3-1066 IIRC.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

My concerns are due in part to the quote below from a review found here: http://www.slashgear.com/nanovision-mimo...w-2053124/

Quote:Past that, though, the 720-S proves as useful as you’d expect a second, dedicated display to be. Nanovision are clear to list its limitations – there’ll be no DirectX or hardware-accelerated 3D gaming, since you’re dealing with a software graphics card emulation, PowerDVD and WinDVD are non-starters, and nor will they show your boot-up or BIOS screen – but beyond that it’s down to your imagination. As we found with the first-gen MIMOs, the 720-S works very well as a dedicated Twitter, IM or email display, only now with the bonus that you can quickly tap a link or message to view it, rather than mouse across. Since the resolution is 800 x 480 WVGA, video playback doesn’t exceed the capabilities of the DisplayLink drivers meaning you can use it to keep an eye on webcam feeds or YouTube footage; alternatively it’s a handy place to keep iTunes or another mediaplayer app, quickly jabbing at the screen to skip through tracks.

I am looking to be able to use the touchscreen to navigate XBMC entirely without a main/larger screen. I dont plan on watching ANY kind of movies, just be able to view XBMC's music interface to play my FLAC files and navigate within it to select songs, skip tracks, etc
Hi, do you own a smartphone or a tablet? If yes, there are several remote controls out there to control XBMC http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Cat...et_remotes
(2012-12-28, 17:27)joethefox Wrote: Hi, do you own a smartphone or a tablet? If yes, there are several remote controls out there to control XBMC http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Cat...et_remotes

I do own an iphone 4 and have the XBMC app on it. I still find it to be lacking over the use of an actual screen when it comes to being able to easily scroll to browse your library, etc.

I may have an out of date version though, so I will delete and re-download it tonight and test it out again on my main system.

It is also easier to just push one button on a screen that is always on when your listening to music and want to skip a song, rather than having to unlock your phone on top of that.
Hi EndersShadow,
be aware that if you plan to upgrade to windows 8 later, you will not be able to use this display cause 800x600 is the minimum for windows 8 to run and a resolution of 1024×768 is required for Metro applications to run.

You could also use a cheap tablet/smartphone (nowadays you can get them for less than 100 $/€) with a dock connected by usb to the computer, and run an application like idisplay to clone your computer's desktop display. The main advantage is that it will never runs out of battery while it's docked and you could use it remotely as well. Furthermore, you will get a capacitive display which is far better than the resistive display on MIMO 720-S (when I've seen the Mimo Magic Touch with 10,1 inches capacitive display sold for 299$ I was shocked!). The ratio price/features of mimo is not great but I must admit I still love the simplicity of use (plug&play) and their stylish look.
(2012-12-28, 22:51)kokoro Wrote: Hi EndersShadow,
be aware that if you plan to upgrade to windows 8 later, you will not be able to use this display cause 800x600 is the minimum for windows 8 to run and a resolution of 1024×768 is required for Metro applications to run.

You could also use a cheap tablet/smartphone (nowadays you can get them for less than 100 $/€) with a dock connected by usb to the computer, and run an application like idisplay to clone your computer's desktop display. The main advantage is that it will never runs out of battery while it's docked and you could use it remotely as well. Furthermore, you will get a capacitive display which is far better than the resistive display on MIMO 720-S (when I've seen the Mimo Magic Touch with 10,1 inches capacitive display sold for 299$ I was shocked!). The ratio price/features of mimo is not great but I must admit I still love the simplicity of use (plug&play) and their stylish look.

Hmmm, now that is an interesting idea. I might have to play around with that on my current iphone to see how it works....

I am not wanting to go bigger than 9" as the computer itself is a mini-itx in a Wesena IXT-6 case and its going to be used for strickly FLAC playback at work through a USB headphone amp. So the quality of the display isnt a HUGE deal, nor is the resolution. Touchscreen response isnt a HUGE deal but I would prefer it to work without tons of button pushing. I have no plans to go to Windows 8 at any point, I am only using Windows + XBMC rather than XBMC alone because then I get all the Windows drivers and I wasnt too comfortable with XBMC alone on my build.

Now my only concerns are in looking at idisplay's description that since the iPhone isnt directly connected to the computer that:

A) There will be too much lag to really navigate properly and smoothly
B) It wont work connected to the wireless network for the facility downstairs I am connected through as they have some firewalls and filters in place.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone use a mini touchscreen monitor with XBMC?0