New (Future) User Introduction
Thumbs Up 
Hello XBMC Enthusiasts!

I know it is not a requirement by this forum to provide an introduction (and hopefully it is not a nuisance), but I thought I would post a short introduction about my current endeavors.

First off, I’ve been in the HTPC building/configuring community for about 4 years now (since mid-way through EE undergraduate), but have only just now started to consider using XBMC. (I knew about it back when I first started looking into HTPC set-ups, but was never completely convinced it was right for me; and I still have to prove that, I suppose.)

Last year I put together a great gaming PC that I was going to use as an HTPC as well, primarily for BluRay disc playback but also for playback of my digital videos (fyi, my hardware is/was Intel DP67BG + i7 2600k, Asus GTX 560 Ti, Samsung BluRay Drive, SSD, etc.). Because I was using it primarily for gaming, however, I did not install any “HTPC” specific software (i.e., I was using Windows MC + TMT5 (for media playback) + MyMovies (for digital video organization/playback)). And because my friends play console games, I found myself rarely playing PC games (other than the occasional Civ5); so out with the old and in with the new!

Although I am sad about downgrading from an i7, I’m excited to finally get back to HTPC building/configuring. (BTW, I have a full bottle of Tylenol and a few Starbucks giftcards from Christmas, so I should be set). With that boring introduction, here is a list of goals I have for this HTPC (possible or not!). Chime in as you see fit, I’m open to ideas:
1) Hardware (purchased and shipped)
• Silverstone ML03 Case
• Asus F2A85-M Pro Motherboard
• AMD A10-5700 APU
• Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) SDRAM (overkill, I know)
• Sapphire HD6670 Low-Profile Video Card (xFire with APU)
• LG BluRay Player
• Crucial M4 128 GB SSD + WD 1 TB HDD (this might go external)
• Other necessary hardware (e.g., PSU)
2) Host OS – Windows 7*
• Two accounts: Admin (secondary) + XBMC (direct boot, shell)
3) Media Center Backend/Frontend – XBMC (of course)
4) PVR Backend – Undecided **(NextPVR?)
5) ATSC/QAM Input – HDHomeRun (or PCI/e card if convinced otherwise)
6) Pulse-Eight*** (if available in US)
• Currently have the HippoRemote app for iPhone, but it’s clunky.
7) TMT5 External Player plug-in (for BluRay/3D)
8) Plugins for things like Hulu, Netflix, etc.
9) Probably missing something, I’m sure!

I look forward to posting questions to the forum and sharing anything I learn along the way, as I see fit.

----------
* Seriously considered Linux (esp. OpenELEC), but because of the strange workaround for BluRay playback, I think Windows 7 is my best bet (esp. with my TMT5 license); plus I like the idea of switching to another account to play Civ5. I also played around with the idea of Windows Embedded Standard 7, but until I prototype with the trail version, this is not a viable option.
** Plan to have an ATSC set-up, but not sure that I will record anything from it. Still a nice option to have.
*** I will post this in another thread, but I see their website is down. Wanted to make sure this is in fact temporary and they are not done selling the adapter.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New (Future) User Introduction0