Slim Pick'ns for GT430
I have a MSI N430GT-MD1GD3-OC/LP GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 card that is giving me problems. The fan on the card will just stop working after a few minutes. Then it overheats and shuts down the display.Confused

I'm looking for a replacement GT430 or similar card.(I prefer nVidia and require the HD Audio). Is the GT430 still the preferred card, because honestly there are very few to choose from and none at a great price. Its been a while since I took a look at hardware. Is this card being phased out and replaced with something else?

Also, while I have the case open I'm thinking I'll toss in a new cpu fan/heatsync because the stock is noisy. Does anyone have a suggestion for a quiet CPU fan (am3 socket)

I'm looking at this monster but it will be a tight fit for my case and a pain to install. The price point is right though and it has great reviews.

My case is the SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B

I'm in the US and prefer to shop at Newegg or Amazon (I trust them).
I have my motherboard etc listed in my signature if needed.

Thanks
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
I had this "EVGA 01G-P3-1335-KR", and it never give me any problem.....

You can read all the good reviews at Amazon- Customer Reviews
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I took the card out, pulled off the fan, cleaned it up and oiled it with 3 in 1 oil. Its working now. I did the same for my case fans as well. The screens on the fans were pretty caked up with dust.

Now i'm running a good 10 degrees cooler. My gpu is hovering around 55c. Does anyone know why the temp would drop by about 10 degrees when I'm playing video? When playing either regular dvd files or bluray w/ HD audio the temp drops as soon as I start playing the file. Seems exactly opposite of what you would think would happen. My daughter is watching something right now and I checked the temp after 3 minutes of playing and its down from 55c to 41c. Maybe this is a question for a different thread...
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Could it be because when it's playing video it's not doing very much? AIUI H264/VC-1/MPEG2 decoding only uses a small part of the GPU dedicated to this process (though I may have this wrong). As the content you are playing is probably progressive (it will be for movies) - there isn't any need to do any complex GPU-based de-interlacing (which uses quite a lot of GPU processing) - and the bulk of the GPU may be doing even less than when it is processing GUIs or doing normal desktop stuff?
(2012-12-29, 22:32)htpc guy Wrote: Is this card being phased out and replaced with something else?

The GT 620 is the current version of the GT 430. Just ordered this one ($30 after rebate) for a new build for my dad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814500254

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slim Pick'ns for GT4300