Sony PlayTV working on Ubuntu not working on XBMCbuntu
Hi Everyone,

Currently trying to setup a XBMCBuntu box with a mythtv backend and XBMC Frontend using a Sony PlayTV as the PVR.

I chose this PVR as its cheap and sturdy and from what i could tell compatable with Linux.

The installation of MythTV on very simple. i ssh'd in and after performing a "sudo apt-get install mythtv" and following the prompts i had myth tv installed on my XBMCBuntu box.

From what I can tell Myth Backend can see the TV tuner here are the details from my Capture Card Setup page

Card Type : DVB DTV capture card (V3.x)
DVB Device: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
Frontend ID : ERROR_OPEN
Subtype: DVB-T

When I completed the setup and went to Scan for channels in the Input Connections Menu I receive a error stating "Channel could not be opened"

I figured this might be something to do with the PlayTV so i installed Vanilla Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop to test it out and i was able to scan for content fine. the DVB Details in the Capture Card Setup page were the same aswell

Troubleshooting I have performed.

- Checked /lib/firmware and confirmed dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw is there
- Replaced dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw from version working on my ubuntu

If you have any ideas please let me know. My Linux Foo isnt great but i can follow instructions real well. My alternative is to uninstall XBMCBuntu and install Ubuntu however i would prefer not to as i like XBMCBuntu for its appliance feel.
So it looks like mythtv-setup cannot access the frontend to the playtv device. "ERROR_OPEN" - possibly a ownership/permissions issue?

You may be better on the mythtv mailing list as this is an xbmc support forum, not mythtv. Personally I would think you are better installing mythbuntu and then add xbmc on top.

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I had the same error on my xbmcbuntu while trying to setup mythtv. TvHeadend is started on boot and using the capture card... thus, if you want to use mythtv, you need to uninstall/remove TvHeadend from xbmcbuntu, reboot and you are good to go.
(2013-01-05, 23:03)psxstudio Wrote: I had the same error on my xbmcbuntu while trying to setup mythtv. TvHeadend is started on boot and using the capture card... thus, if you want to use mythtv, you need to uninstall/remove TvHeadend from xbmcbuntu, reboot and you are good to go.

You sir are correct sudo apt-get autoremove tvheadend for those playing at home!now to finish the setup
Just,wanted to say that I now have mythtv working on xbmcbuntu if anyone has any questions let me know!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony PlayTV working on Ubuntu not working on XBMCbuntu0