audio settings help
I'm using frodo beta, but its the same with eden as well. These new audio engine builds are confusing me a little bit. I use spdif for audio output and my receiver is quite old and only does dolby digital 5.1. All I want is everything to be in Ac3. So in the settings, I pick that my receiver is dolby digital capable. So I get dolby digital at my reciever for all types of audio, aac, ac3 and dts. The problem is with dts and aac I can adjust the volume with the remote where as with ac3, it says passthrough audio in use. Is there anyway to just have xbmc decode all the audio? The volume works fine with reclock and for me this is a necessity at the moment as my screen comes down in front of the receiver and not possible to move things at the current time. If I uncheck dolby digital receiver which I figured would just cause it to decode the audio, all I get is 2 channel at the receiver.
Decoding 5.1 to PCM and trying to send over optical would require forcing it to 2.0. The only way to send >2.0 over optical is to transcode it to AC3 or DTS.

If the audio is native AC3 it gets passed through as-is. With DTS or AAC it's getting transcoded to AC3 or converted to PCM as 2.0 (while allowing volume control). Best to use your receiver remote for volume.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
How does reclock do it then? I can play any audio through reclock with ac3 encode and control it with the remote. But aside from that, if ac3 is getting passed as is, then how does it work with sync to display resample audio which is the setting I use? It wouldn't be able to resample the audio if its passing it straight through correct?
You cannot resample audio with passthrough in XBMC, in fact Sync to Display is not recommended with passthrough audio. If you set it to resample audio the setting is ignored for passthrough.

ReClock may be decoding, applying volume then recoding to AC3, not sure as I don't use it.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio settings help0