Adding codecs to XBMC
I've recently acquired a Raspberry Pi and installed XBMC, however some videos don't play (there's just a small still photograph accompanied by sound) presumably because it doesn't include the correct codecs, is it possible to acquire and install additional codecs for this programme? if so could someone please explain how I go about it - TIA.
You can buy and install MPEG2 and VC-1. See Raspberry Pi FAQ (wiki)
Thanks, out of curiosity I downloaded one of the non playing endgadget videos from XBMC (installed on my PC on which it runs OK) to see what format it's in, which turned out to be mp4, although exactly what flavour and why it won't run on raspbmc is a mystery, especially considering that endgadget's main full length programs work fine, I'd have thought that they would have used the same codec for their video extras.

(2012-12-31, 15:55)anth2305 Wrote: Thanks, out of curiosity I downloaded one of the non playing endgadget videos from XBMC (installed on my PC on which it runs OK) to see what format it's in, which turned out to be mp4, although exactly what flavour and why it won't run on raspbmc is a mystery, especially considering that endgadget's main full length programs work fine, I'd have thought that they would have used the same codec for their video extras.

mp4 is just a container, and can contain any video codecs. Run mediainfo on it to see what codecs are required:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
Thanks, there seems to be a problem with the downloaded videos, as according to properties every single file in my PCs designated target folder read.. "SIZE - 685 bytes (685 bytes) "MP4 File (.mp4) ".. TYPE OF FILE - MP4 File(.mp4)" and no more further information than that, even in 'Media Info'.

When playing back an online Engadget video - which it does in XBMC on my PC - info at the bottom of the screen displays, 'SD [Ogg] 2.0'. so for some reason the Ogg files play on my PC, but not on the Raspbmc, presumably due to its performance limitations, I have to confess at not being too technically competent in such matters, as I was bought this little device by my daughter and son-in-law as a Christmas present and although in my seventies became seriously hooked, I have to confess that I've been really impressed at what such a small low cost device can do, mainly achieved I have to say, to so many helpful people such as yourself and Ned on various web and video information sites like Yoube.
perhaps the files you downloaded are some sort of playlist. Open one in notepad++ and see what is acyually inside.

Or in linux use the file command.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well that's interesting, when I open the downloaded mp4 file in MS Word, It produces an HTML message which says - "The page you were looking for doesn't exist." "You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved."

(2013-01-01, 12:59)anth2305 Wrote: Well that's interesting, when I open the downloaded mp4 file in MS Word, It produces an HTML message which says - "The page you were looking for doesn't exist." "You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved."
So, the video hasn't downloaded correctly.
It sounds like the video format is ogg (theora) which isn't supported on the Pi.
(2013-01-01, 12:59)anth2305 Wrote: Well that's interesting, when I open the downloaded mp4 file in MS Word, It produces an HTML message which says - "The page you were looking for doesn't exist." "You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved."
i said notepad or notepad++, not word!!

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Pretty similar.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>The page you were looking for doesn't exist (404)</title>
<style type="text/css">
body { background-color: #fff; color: #666; text-align: center; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, arial, sans-serif; }
div.dialog {
width: 40em;
padding: 0 4em;
margin: 4em auto 0 auto;
}
h1 {
font-size: 3em;
color: #048;
letter-spacing: -2px;
}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<!-- This file lives in public/404.html -->
<div class="dialog">
<h1>The page you were looking for doesn't exist.</h1>
<p>You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>
(2013-01-01, 22:51)anth2305 Wrote: Pretty similar.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>The page you were looking for doesn't exist (404)</title>
<style type="text/css">
body { background-color: #fff; color: #666; text-align: center; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, arial, sans-serif; }
div.dialog {
width: 40em;
padding: 0 4em;
margin: 4em auto 0 auto;
}
h1 {
font-size: 3em;
color: #048;
letter-spacing: -2px;
}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<!-- This file lives in public/404.html -->
<div class="dialog">
<h1>The page you were looking for doesn't exist.</h1>
<p>You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>
Well that is certainly not a media file of any description - next question?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding codecs to XBMC0