5.1 sound over HDMI ARC from TV
Hi all

I currently have an nvidia ION based HTPC connecting over HDMI to my TV (Samsung 5 series plasma), using the TV builtin sound,

I want to buy a 5.1 speaker bluray combo (something like http://www.samsung.com/africa_en/consume...-E4550K/XA ) to get semidecent surround sound.

However, as my TV has multiple HDMI inputs (PS3/HTPC/etc), I will want to connect all devices directly to the TV, and pass sound via either optical out or HDMI-ARC from TV to bluray. My TV manual states that only stereo can be passed over the optical audio out, if the source is not the TV tuner (ie, if it is another HDMI input), so I can't use that, but it is not clear if dolby 5.1 can pass over the HDMI-ARC channel from other HDMI connected inputs.

Does anyone have any experience with samsung TVs and using 5.1 over the HDMI-ARC channel.

It seems that most people would buy a AV reciever with multiple HDMI inputs, and connect all devices to that, I am trying to keep costs down, and the number of remotes needed to control everything to a minimum as well.

Depends on the version of HDMI supported by your TV. If it is 1.4 then ARC should work and you should be able to connect your kit as follows.

TV -> Combo Device <- XBMC and get sound from both devices. See; http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx
Usually arc from tv can retutn just stereo channel. So use optical instead of arc.
Thanks for the replies

In my case, my tv manual specifically states only stereo over its optical connector. I have searched various internet forums, but I cannot find a conclusive answer as to whether dolby 5.1 will pass over the HDMI ARC connector.

I have read the following on various forums, in many different combinations:

1. It is not possible to have a source other than the TV tuner pass 5.1 over the HDMI-ARC or optical connector. (according to HDMI and HDCP specs)
2. The TV advertises to the source what it is capable of (stereo), so the source can only sends stereo to it.
3. The TV passes through exactly what it gets, so if you force the source to send dolby 5.1, it will pass dolby 5.1 via optical/ARC.

I am hoping somebody on this forum has a nvidia card connected via HDMI to a Samsumg series 5 TV and is using the HDMI-ARC successfully to a 5.1 receiver/combo system

Unfortunately your best bet is to go with a home theater system with one or more HDMI inputs. You can always add a HDMI switcher if you need to expand the number of inputs. As far as decreasing the number of remotes...a Harmony remote does exactly that!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 sound over HDMI ARC from TV0