10bit playback on 2007 mini
Hi. I have a 2007 Core 2 Duo mac mini which I use for video playback on my 1080p tv. I recently installed the Frodo RC2 files in an attempt to get a player that will play these oh too common 10bit anime files I have. While it plays them without block artifacts (unlike Plex) it does so while lowering the bit depth, so every frame looks like its playing back on a computer old enough to drive. If you don't know what I mean, assume you are watching video footage on a screen that doesn't have enough colors to show you what is there, so it dumbs down the image information until you get a moving photoshop filter instead of a clean picture.

I've tried changing settings inside the program, but I haven't looked at anything else. Is there a guide for fixing this myself, or am I just stuck? I must say I like the menus and default behavior way better in this program than in Plex, but even with the artifacts, I can stand to watch it in Plex. I can't sit through even 5 minutes of this compromised bit-depth playback.
I guess it's back to plex for you then Smile
I'd like to believe that my monitors/TVs are of fair quality, and I can't say that I notice any quality loss when I compare it to VLC or MPlayer X, which also can play Hi10P. How is the comparison for you when you try VLC or MPlayer X?
MPlayer X seems to have problems keeping audio in sync if I go full screen. I haven't tried VLC on this computer in over a year. I could give it a go, but I really like the media center aspects of XBMC/Plex. I don't have to do near as much work to play what I want from the couch, and I don't have to decide on a playlist beforehand. Which is especially cool because sometimes my friends and I skip certain programs due to another friend being absent, and not wanting to miss their favorite show.
I'm asking for the sake of image quality comparison.
(2013-01-02, 00:40)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm asking for the sake of image quality comparison.
This is a composite photo, not a screen shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/317ubxodpmjynr...Player.jpg

Sorry I didn't see your response until today. I just installed the latest version today, and xmbc is on the left side of the image I've linked in. Xplayer is on the right. Plex looks the same as the right when it doesn't have any temporary block errors. Overall, I can't watch the playback of 10bit videos in XMBC unless I want to watch in what appears to be significantly less than 15bit colors.
I'm not sure. I've never seen Hi10P anime look that bad when I've played it back. I'll try some things to see if I can replicate the issue, but wow, never seen it look that bad.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10bit playback on 2007 mini0