Working 100% without screen, keyboard & mouse ?
First thank you to the dev(s) for developping this excellent remote.

I'd like to ask the community whether some of you are successfully managing their XBMC without ever using (outside of configuration steps) keyboard/mouse, and without using a screen if playing back music, but using only the remote.

Basically I use XBMC quite often for music-only playback, and since I don't have a TV but a projector it is really unpractical to start it if I only want to play music.

This remote comes in very handy to get close to the mentionned goal, however there are some problems : quite often XBMC will pop "menus" or popup windows, that if you don't have a screen to view them are quite difficult to navigate out of. Basically any kind of error message that pops a dialog means trouble, as well as any input-based interaction.

Is anyone else using this remote as the main XBMC interface, and if you do what are your tips to minimize these types of "lock-ins" which require to actually start the screen ? I'm using XBMCLauncher which is quite nice to make sure XBMC is always on top of trouble that would come from windows, but that doesn't help with internal XMBC "focus-holders".

Cheers !

Similar question: I'm building a new server which will hold all my media for client XBMC's around the house. The server will also run XBMC and a central MYSQL database. I'd like to connect my in roof speakers throughout the house to the server and play music. The server is not going to have a keyboard, screen or mouse, and I want to be able to control it via either a wall mounted IPAD or Android tablet. We use the Pandora and Tunein Addon's a lot, so I need to be able to control them via the tablet. Any suggestions?
I've had issues where often the text input boxes don't work with the remote. It's like a non-http based thread kicks it off, and thus won't respond to the http commands the remote sends.

At those times I use Splashtop to remote in and type it in.
There's no way you can actually manage xbmc without the screen. The remote just isn't going to show you settings boxes.

Now, if you're trying to play music without the screen on, then you're going to be picking your music directly from the albums/artists lists and therefore will never have text boxes popping up on you. I used to use the remote all the time while working around the house to play music. Alas, the latest version doesn't work except for the remote part and crashes out when I try to look at my media collections. Yatse doesn't work well on my phone either.
(2013-01-19, 17:57)corpgator Wrote: There's no way you can actually manage xbmc without the screen. The remote just isn't going to show you settings boxes.

Now, if you're trying to play music without the screen on, then you're going to be picking your music directly from the albums/artists lists and therefore will never have text boxes popping up on you. I used to use the remote all the time while working around the house to play music. Alas, the latest version doesn't work except for the remote part and crashes out when I try to look at my media collections. Yatse doesn't work well on my phone either.

agreed!XBMC_Remote_v1.0.8_signed.apk doesn't work well in my tablet(Jelly Bean,CM10),Yatse doesn't work well too…… Hope for the new version for frodo!
May I ask what are the problems with Yatse ?
Hi,
please any chance nowadays this feature has been enabled?

What I'm trying to do is setting up xbmc or XBMCbuntu in the living room but most of the time I'll be playing just music files.. so no really need to have the tv/screen on (annoying and wasting power).

Do you know if is it possible to achieve this with any of the remote application for smart phones or with a proper remote?

Cheers
Maybe Music Pump XBMC Remote is what you are looking for. I have initially designed it to control music playback on xbmc without turning on the tv

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...remotebeta

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Working 100% without screen, keyboard & mouse ?0