teamviewer and xbmc
hi

I'm running a pc connected to the tv that pretty much all it does is play videos with xbmc. Since it doesn't have another monitor I sometimes use teamviewer to log to it (for win updates etc). Here's the thing though, every time I do that
xbmc becomes super laggy and choppy and I have to restart the application. This happens whether a video is paused or xbmc is running but idling. I'm running an older version of xbmc so I thought maybe that's something that isn't happening in newer versions but a friend is running Frodo and told me he has the same issue.

It's not a huge inconvenience to restart xbmc but it would be nice not to have to do it. I don't know if this has been discussed before or not and if there are solutions.
I can't tell why XBMC gets laggy, but IMHO Teamviewer is not the best idea for remote controlling a local pc considering privacy because each connection initialized is controlled by the company TeamViewer GmbH in Göppingen, Germany. Therefore they would be able to collect private data if they intended to...

As I'm having a similar setup at home, I'm using UltraVNC on my XBMC machine which is connected via Gigabit LAN to my network - doing it that way, I have full control over the connection and even XBMC can be used quite fluently.

If you should try UVNC, take care NOT TO INSTALL the mirror driver, because it could lead to problems concerning HDMI connection (and doesn't make sense in a small local network at all but for WAN connections).

So, thinking of that UVNC mirror driver-thingy, I could imagine that Teamviewer installs and uses smthg similar by default, kind of a virtual gfx-driver to compress the desktop images in order to use less bandwith and therefore create a more fluent remote control. And maybe XBMC doesn't like that.
As for UVNC, the mirror driver would do so, but as said, isn't necessary in a LAN.

Maybe that's a working alternative for you.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
teamviewer and xbmc0