My First HPTC Build
(2013-01-08, 21:12)huzz456 Wrote:
(2013-01-08, 21:01)vandycamp Wrote:
(2013-01-07, 23:35)huzz456 Wrote: Forgot to ask as well; does anyone know for sure if that graphics card will fit in the silverstone gd04? I know it's gonna be tight!

I'm VERY interested in this thread as well, since it sounds like we're looking to build a very similar rig. I'm happy to settle for a lesser GPU though and as wondering if this ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti or ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti ( would work in the SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B? Also, is the GD05B really only 12" deep? My cabinet is only 16" deep so that would be perfect. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I haven't got mine yet but according to the silverstone website as long as the graphics card is less than 11" long and 4.92" wide then it will fit. Unfortunately the super cool and quiet ASUS cards have heatpipes that make them 5.12" wide so won't fit. Check out the galaxy versions that Rick P suggested, they are still up with the best in terms of heat and noise but are narrow enough to fit the silverstone case

Awesome, thanks. And the Silverstone is really only 12" deep? It sounds like I'll be doing almost the exact same build as you, minus the TV tuner since I already have an HD Homerun Prime that I'll hook up to the home server and share over ethernet.
12" sounds right. My cabinet is about 16" deep too and I have room for a mess of cables behind my GD04.

If you're planning to build a higher-end system and put it in a cabinet you really need to consider how to get the heat out of the back of the cabinet. Standard cabinet vents or slots won't cut it since the intake fans on the side of the GD04 causes short-circuiting of hot exhaust air back inside the case. My quad-core CPU and lowly gt-520 card could drive temperatures up and increase fan noise when doing cpu-intensive work before I added a cabinet fan.

I went with a couple of these - you guys will need something bigger but you get the idea.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556087922.html.

Mines going to be on a shelf under the TV so should be fine drawing in cool air, I hope ...
Seems like every other manufacturer who uses this nvidea chip, with the exception of gigabit, makes a card that does not go above the mounting bracket height.

I suppose this would be advantagus for gaming. Would be interested in actual performance difference between this and the built in GPU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My First HPTC Build1