Solved Audio issue
Music 
I have been running xbmc on this setup for a while and had noticed this problem before but just ignored it. However, it is starting to grind on me a bit and I am ready to find a solution, or the best way to troubleshoot the issue.

Problem: The audio will warble a bit during playback of movies. Basically I can hear the pitch of the background music change slightly. Best example I can give is if you had a turntable playing an album (for those of you that remember these contraptions) and you placed your finger on the album just for an instant and slowed the speed of the albums rotation briefly, causing the pitch to drop.

The only three things I can think of that would cause this issue is either the built in audio processor/sound card on the motherboard, XBMC setting, or possibly the network speed. The network speed doesn't really add up since I see no change in the video at all and there is far more data in the video signal than the audio. I would think if it is a network issue, then it would manifest in the video signal first. I mention this since all my data is stored on one of two unraid servers and none of the data is local on the HTPC.

I have never really seen anyone complain about this before, and no one really mentions the hardware required to run solid sound for XBMC, so I am guessing it is an audio setting. I am running Frodo RC 2 currently on this HTPC. Specs are

ASUS F1A75-M PRO FM1 AMD A75 Motherboard
AMD A8-3850 APU
Running on Windows 8 (64 bit) with 8GB of RAM. No receiver involved and the 2.1 speakers are connected directly to the outputs on the motherboard. Problem also existed when this system ran Windows 7.

I know a lot of people hate on the Realtek Audio chipsets, could this be why? Problem was present prior to Frodo when running the final of Eden, so it doesn't seem to be the changes to the way audio is handled in Frodo, but then again maybe this is why it is annoying me more than it was before.

What should I try for setting changes? Or better yet has anyone else had this issue and know a solution and wouldn't mind sharing that solution? Or how would you go about troubleshooting this? I doubt it would show itself in the logs, but I could be wrong. Video is perfection, but the audio needs a bit of help.

One last bit of info. This isn't a problem with playing music only through something like Pandora. I don't really have a music collection of MP3's for XBMC, so I can't really say if just music playback is affected in xbmc, however prior to upgrading to Windows 8 and Frodo, I had the Pandora addon for XBMC and it didn't experience this problem. Seems to be limited to movies, maybe TV shows, but haven't really noticed it there.

Thanks all!

So I think I may have resolved this. I messed around with the audio settings and tested each of them with a movie. One change all but locked up my entire PC. But with a few changes it seems I get steady smooth audio playback now. I can't remember which settings fixed it, but I would listen to a certain portion of 2 movies to see if it changed anything. Analog Coaxial DirectSound (Speakers) I think are the 3 output options I had to select. The volume level for this option was a bit low until I restarted the PC and now it seems fine. Bass is even a bit tighter now also. Anyway, if any one out there is having a strange audio issue like I described above, the XBMC audio settings is the place to look first. At least it worked for me. 4 films in since making the change and haven't noticed the lag since.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio issue0