[Pre Planning] Controlling without keyboard or network
I just bought a Pi and it is being currently shipped so I don't have it yet. But it is going to be for use at my work during lunch break no network exists wired or wireless.

I don't want to carry around a keyboard.

Has anyone had success getting a Android phone (Yatse) to control it via some ad-hoc network either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
For something just to use for work on break, wouldn't xbmc on your cell be much easier and more convenient
That will not work since my phone only has HDMI output. The Pi will be used with composite output. To a old cheap TV.

It is replacing my old dvd player that does avi's from a SD card (sd NOT even sdhc so I max out at 2GB cards)
This way I get a cheap device that plays newer files and is capable of being connected to old TVs.
There are Android apps that will make the phone appear as a normal bluetooth keyboard, so that might be an option.

You should also be able to get the Pi to connect to the Android phone by turning on something like a wifi hotspot feature, and getting the Pi to automatically connect to that when it sees it. That should be enough to allow a remote control app on Android to talk to XBMC on the Pi.

There's probably some el-chepo remotes that will work too, but I don't know of any off hand. I'm sure others will be able to recommend some specific ones.
Thanks for the suggestion, I should of thought of the tethering.
I just tested it by connecting my laptop to my phones WiFi hotspot and then I got Yatse to control the XBMC install on it.

As long as I disable Raspbmc's auto updates and most of the media I take comes with nfo and artwork from my good HTPC which I regularly output the library as separate files it should not hit my phones data allotment to bad.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Pre Planning] Controlling without keyboard or network0