Best way to install XBMC on Win7 with UAC
How do I install XBMC under Standard user account so that addons that need elevated privlages work correctly and can be started when Win 7 starts?

XBMC v16.1 Jarvis, Aeon Nox 5.1.1
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1, CPU: AMD A8-3850 Quad Core Fusion,
MB: ASUS F1A75 V PRO, RAM: 4GB, Video: on board(HDMI), Sound: on board (HDMI),
TV Tuner: Hauppauge HVR-2200
I'm sure you have a great reason for needing/wanting to setup XBMC this way, but I've found UAC to be such a hassle with an HTPC that I finally just turned it off. In my case the computer is dedicated to HTPC usage, so I don't have to worry about another person doing something strange on the machine. My advice from experience is that you will find your life much easier if you simply launch XBMC from an admin account and turn off UAC. So if you can do that, I would.
(2013-01-05, 02:48)pkscuot Wrote: I'm sure you have a great reason for needing/wanting to setup XBMC this way, but I've found UAC to be such a hassle with an HTPC that I finally just turned it off. In my case the computer is dedicated to HTPC usage, so I don't have to worry about another person doing something strange on the machine. My advice from experience is that you will find your life much easier if you simply launch XBMC from an admin account and turn off UAC. So if you can do that, I would.

I prefer to run as a standard user with UAC for security reasons. So, is there a way to do this in a consitent way?

I have installed XBMC from standard user account by running the installer with 'Run as administrator' and continued to setup by adding sources to the library, I then setup the shortcut to run from startup', I thought it was working ok until I triedto install some addons after restarting and found out that the shortcut was not running as administrator. and the userdata ended up in standard users directory anyway,
XBMC v16.1 Jarvis, Aeon Nox 5.1.1
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1, CPU: AMD A8-3850 Quad Core Fusion,
MB: ASUS F1A75 V PRO, RAM: 4GB, Video: on board(HDMI), Sound: on board (HDMI),
TV Tuner: Hauppauge HVR-2200
If you're htpc starts XBMC right after (an automated) login from your restricted user, you could create a scheduled task which executes xbmc.exe with administrative rights in the event of exactly that user logging in.
No other (elegant) way I know of with UAC activated.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
What about just navigating to the XBMC executable in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC (or wherever it is) > right click > properties > compatibility > run as admin?
HTPC: | i3-2120 | AMD HD6450 | Samsung 840 EVO SSD | Kodi 15.2 | Win10 x64 | Onkyo HTX-22HDX | Logitech Harmony + K400 |
Server: | i7-3770S | RocketRaid 2320 5×2TB RAID5 | Vertex 3 SSD | Win10 x64, SMB, TVersity UPnP | MySQL |
Others: | HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro/Marantz HiFi + Volumio | Raspberry Pi 2 + OpenELEC | Nexus 4, 5, 9 |
(2013-01-06, 15:22)StartCodon Wrote: What about just navigating to the XBMC executable in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC (or wherever it is) > right click > properties > compatibility > run as admin?

Works as well, but UAC, if put to maximum, will still pop in and ask for confirmation...
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to install XBMC on Win7 with UAC 0