• 5(current)
Change channel really slow
(2013-03-24, 21:22)macardi Wrote: Thanks for your work on this, it works great.

One issue though, I'm using "Adjust display refresh rate to match video (On start/stop)". So when I start Live TV it changes from 60Hz to 50Hz. With this build the refresh rate switch does not occur instantly. When I start Live TV the channel starts playing but the refresh rate change takes a couple of seconds to kick in resulting in a black screen for a second when the refresh rate change occur. This also happens every time I change the channel from the Timeline EPG, but not if I change the channel from the "PVRChannelsOSD"

I get this too.

In all, it makes the TV zapping experience worse. If it is quicker, it's only marginal - and the start then black out for two secs is not nice at all.

(Australia, Win 7 client)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2013-03-25, 10:55)FernetMenta Wrote: You can experiment with minaudiocachelevel and minvideocachelevel in advanced settings (pvr section). Those are responsible for the buffering. If those are too small a/v players may stall.

Increase or decrease to get rid of the buffering? Is it not everybody who gets this buffering in upper right corner?
Hi have just installed this version and at first glance - massive improvement, like others I get the buffering but for a short duration, this still knocks off 4-5 seconds over the old method. The first channel change is about 4 seconds, subsequent channel changes are 2-3 seconds. Buffering lasts about half of that time.

Changing from SD to HD is about 4 seconds, then HD to HD about 3. I use a PCIe-X1 DVB-S2 quad card, Gigabit network.

This is now (fingers crossed) a Wife friendly solution.

Will report any issues when I do a more extensive UAT

ooh, almost forgot - where would I find advanced settings ?
Anyone an idea how to get this update in my OpenElec system or do I have to wait on the OE developers ?
The slow channel switch is the only showstopper for me for using it actively instead of test Smile
(2013-03-24, 22:31)FernetMenta Wrote:

One issue though, I'm using "Adjust display refresh rate to match video (On start/stop)". So when I start Live TV it changes from 60Hz to 50Hz. With this build the refresh rate switch does not occur instantly. When I start Live TV the channel starts playing but the refresh rate change takes a couple of seconds to kick in resulting in a black screen for a second when the refresh rate change occur. This also happens every time I change the channel from the Timeline EPG, but not if I change the channel from the "PVRChannelsOSD"

That's a different story. On h.264 streams fps is not necessarily coded in the parameters which can be parsed. Either you know it in advance or you measure it. Since we skip find_stream_info now, we postpone detection until video player measures it.

OK, that make sense.

It wouldn't bother me to much if it just happened when I started Live TV. What I don't understand is why this only happens when I change channel from the EPG, does the method for changing channel differ between the EPG (timeline) and the PVRChannelsOSD? When changing channel via the EPG the first thing that happens when the stream starts to play is that the refresh rate changes back to 60Hz just to change back to 50Hz a couple of seconds later. Why is that? Is it because the stream is stopped and the GUI switches back to the native refresh rate?

All in all, my switching times have been reduced from an average 8 seconds to 1-2 seconds so this is fantastic no matter what.

/Marcus
I also forgot to mention, fast channel change effects only dvb-s and dvb-s2 channels, dvb-t is not working the same, longer channel change and buffering appears as with some other members...
Using dvbviewer...
Quote:Why is that? Is it because the stream is stopped and the GUI switches back to the native refresh rate?

Just checked the code and this is the case indeed. Instead of calling SwitchChannel on player it calls OpenFile. I don't know why, need to ping opdenkamp.
Fantastic improvement for me: ArgusTV and DVB-S(2). Thank you very much for all the work! Very much appreciated.

Stefan
@FernetMenta , will tvheadend addon benefit from this as well?
tvheadend and vnsi don't use ffmpeg demuxer. They already have fast channel switches. In case you do observe any problems with tvheadend in regard to this, it must be some other issue.

I also get something similar, however I have 2 clients (called Loki and Odin) running this now on 2 LCD tvs. On one client (Loki) the refresh rate change occurs some 5 seconds in, if I display my TV menu as I start Live TV I see the refresh rate start at 60hz, the stream starts then blanks the screen then change to 50hz and continues the stream. This only happens on the first channel displayed, if I change channel by the remote ch up - ch dn buttons, or by the EPG there is no further change. But if I then stop the TV, the same refresh behaviour occurs.

On my other client (Odin), none of this happens - its seamless zapping.

I checked the windows display refresh rate on both TVs and can set them to 50hz default. Odin keeps this setting on running XBMC, but Loki seems to change to 60hz when running XBMC, this is causing the refresh change blanking. Not sure why XBMC changes the refresh rate on startup.

Any thought.

Also, If i have 'fast channel switching - dont stop timeshift' enabled in PVR Client, changing channels doesnt happen, it rewinds live TV, Plus I dont see any difference in channel changes with it set or disabled.

Fortunately Odin is the main TV watching HTPC, the wife was impressed with the zapping but not my Harmony remote programming - never pleased, but I will get there
(2013-03-25, 20:02)FernetMenta Wrote:
Quote:Why is that? Is it because the stream is stopped and the GUI switches back to the native refresh rate?

Just checked the code and this is the case indeed. Instead of calling SwitchChannel on player it calls OpenFile. I don't know why, need to ping opdenkamp.

Ok, that explains it. Thanks for looking in to this!

/Marcus
can I ask again, where would I find advanced settings, I am assuming it is an xml file, I cant seem to find it anywhere.
(2013-03-26, 14:55)Birdincamera Wrote: can I ask again, where would I find advanced settings, I am assuming it is an xml file, I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Use google... Seriously, it'll be the first result you get.
ok, got that but not sure how to create one
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change channel really slow2