New Zotac ZBOX ID42
This thread makes me sad. My id42 is currently working beautifully, fingers cross it stays that way because it is making me very happy!
Hi, I just got 4 x ID42's I ordered from Hong Kong.
Trying to install openELEC 3.0, install hangs at 28%.

Log shows some problem with partitioning or formatting the drive.

Tried all 4 systems, all the same issue.
They have Intel 520 series 120GB SSD's, and 2 x 4GB Kingston RAM.

Second problem is no display.
On my systems that direct connect or connect through a HDMI switch I can see the boot screen.
On my systems that connect through a Marantz AVR, no signal.
My ID84's work fine on the same setup.

Any ideas?
I picked up my ID42 on Thursday from zercom.eu. This time, all went fine - previously used RAM and SSD with already installed OE3 RC5. OE nicely updated to OE3 final. I didn't have much time thus I watched a few video clips and browsed through a few films. On Friday I watched 2 film, so far so good. Today I'm away from home, but tomorrow I'll give it some additional spin.

Now to my observations regarding the feeling it gives me:

First of all, when jumping to the next chapter on a MKV film, the image stutters for a while. It can happen for as long as 10 seconds with some films, or just a second or two with other.

When watching Game of Thrones s03e01, I noticed colour banding during snow scenes (gradient parts of the snow had distinct borders visible). I never noticed that on my previous Win7 + XBMC11 system. I will check that one on the old system.

Does anyone see similar behaviour?
OpenELEC 4.2.1 Generic x32
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Samsung USB2 DVD-RW SE-S084
(2013-04-05, 02:15)ptr727 Wrote: Hi, I just got 4 x ID42's I ordered from Hong Kong.
Trying to install openELEC 3.0, install hangs at 28%.
You need to install the Generic build - the ION build doesn't work on the ID42.
I had the same problem ! The Generic build works just fine.
Ok, generic build installs, and works direct to LG TV, but Marantz AVR still does not like it.
(2013-04-09, 04:53)ptr727 Wrote: Ok, generic build installs, and works direct to LG TV, but Marantz AVR still does not like it.
Can you see the BIOS screen through your Marantz AVR ? Or is there no output at any stage of the boot process ?
(2013-04-06, 21:25)swoop Wrote: Now to my observations regarding the feeling it gives me:

First of all, when jumping to the next chapter on a MKV film, the image stutters for a while. It can happen for as long as 10 seconds with some films, or just a second or two with other.

When watching Game of Thrones s03e01, I noticed colour banding during snow scenes (gradient parts of the snow had distinct borders visible). I never noticed that on my previous Win7 + XBMC11 system. I will check that one on the old system.
Has anyone else experienced any of these issues with Zotac ID42 and Openelec?
I thought ID42 was the perfect htpc but this sounds like a deal breaker to me.

swoop, did you try the Game of Thrones episode on a different system to see if the color banding is related to the file?
The only issues I have had with my ID42 are standard openelec/nvidia ones. I used modelines to get exactly 23.976 fps, custom edid to solve any problems of start order/sound on suspend
I checked the zotac forum post again and alot more people report this problem.
I sure hope they can identify and fix this production problem an release stable hardware that won't die on you after a couple of days.

For now i would not recommend the id42 to anyone since the production flaw seems widespread, even do on paper the spec are damn fine good for a htpc.
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
Hi, I'm the original poster on the Zotac forum (http://www.zotacusa.com/forum/topic/6346...wont-post/) about the ID42. I can say safely that this is the perfect HTPC when it works.

I was recently notified by Zotac HK that it's a BIOS issue. I'm not buying it, but as soon as I get my replacement I'll update the post with it's stability. FWIW, I used OpenElec, but found the Ubuntu 12.10 install (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369) worked perfectly and ended up with that.
(2013-03-25, 10:54)alex84 Wrote: I gues i spoke to soon about this great box.
Yesterday when i got home my box was stone dead. I got a nice 4-5 days of it before it gave up.
After doing some searching i found a video that had the exact same problem, box won't turn on only blinking blue light.
Clearing cmost does not help. There is no way you can get anything out from it, no bios boot nada.

Video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0PZA8c8fQ

Also more users having the problem over at zotac forum
http://www.zotacusa.com/forum/topic/6250...wont-post/

This is a big shame since the hw specs are great for a small htcp box. Time will tell if this is caused by faulty production or whatnot.
identical problem happened to mine Stare
there is same solution or box is dead? Sad
zotac forum is close.
nevermore zotac!
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2014-10-29, 00:43)looun Wrote: identical problem happened to mine Stare
there is same solution or box is dead? Sad
zotac forum is close.
nevermore zotac!

Excatly, 'Never More ZOTAC!' I have recently set up intel NUC DN2820FYKH and I'm happy as Larry. Sure, you have to update BIOS to version 38 or higher, but after that all is smooth. NUC build quality and noise levels are so much better that Zotac.

Never even consider ZOTAC these days!!
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
I would not say so, comparing a 2 year old zotac ID42 (which for my part still works great) is not quite fair.

Currently my Living Room is running: http://www.zotac.com/de/products/mini-pc...-nano.html completely passive, working really great. And yeah with it's HSW graphics core it outperforms that Baytrail IVB GPU in every account.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-29, 11:47)fritsch Wrote: I would not say so, comparing a 2 year old zotac ID42 (which for my part still works great) is not quite fair.

Currently my Living Room is running: http://www.zotac.com/de/products/mini-pc...-nano.html completely passive, working really great. And yeah with it's HSW graphics core it outperforms that Baytrail IVB GPU in every account.
I (can) agree...

...*If* the hardware works. I tried two ID42s and one ID81 (or whatever the model name was). Both ID42 died, ID81 produced crappy, too bright image and was noisy. Personally, I cannot say anything good about Zotac...

Nowadays, I'd say go for the chepaest NUC. Maybe its power is not enough for x265, but that's sound of the future.
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Zotac ZBOX ID420