Does your HTPC run all the time?
Hello guys,

I would like to know, do you run your HTPC all the time or do you use suspend to RAM sometimes? What powersaving technologies do you use? I would like to build a HTPC (probably with Linux) this year and wonder if I will let it on all the time.

Regards
Malte
I have my HTPC running all the time but its a file server as well so it has to. If you have a sensible build the idle power usage would be tiny on any system, a standard AMD A10 build consumes only 36watts on idle and you could reduce this if you wanted.
I only turn it on when I need to, its in S3 (suspend to ram) otherwise. But my XBMC rig right now is a power guzzler PC built from left overs (core2 duo, ATI 5850 etc). I dont even want to know what it consumes.

Im currently waiting for a raspberry pi to replace it; considering that draws only like 3W or so, I will probably just leave it on. It probably draws less power turned on than my PC does in sleep mode!
(2013-01-08, 14:43)PobjoySpecial Wrote: My Raspberry Pi is powered off of my TV's USB port, so they both turn on and off together. It's neat perq to save $ on electricity and the cost of a power adapter. Smile

I may end up doing that too, although it takes like 2 minutes to boot the Pi doesnt it? Since Im going to attach a powered USB hub for the ir receiver and stuff, I will likely power the Pi using that and just keep it on, or schedule it to power off at night. Though its a bit weird to have 2 USB cables going in a round merry from Pi to hub, I see no reason it shouldnt work.
Sorry for derailing this thread slightly, but..

(2013-01-08, 15:10)PobjoySpecial Wrote: My Pi takes ~35 seconds to boot.

Thats rather good and better than I expected. Are you using openelec? 512 Mb version of the Pi? What speed grade SD card?

Quote:You probably won't need an external power supply to run an IR receiver, but you will if you add much else.

Yeah, I might get away without one, but I have a cardboard box full of USB hubs anyway, and Ive been bitten a bit too often by USB power issues to take the chance Smile
I turn it on when I need to..... leave it on the whole day if I am home... and they turn it off when i go to sleep.
I leave my Raspberry PI on all the time. If I unplug it I get a kernel error on the next boot. I'm too lazy to fix it...
I leave my unRaid server on all the time,....but my HTPC,...I push a button on my keyboard to put it to sleep,...then when I turn on the keyboard, the HTPC wakes up instantly.
HTPC's are turned off when not in use....SSD boot time is minimal so don't see any advantage to do otherwise.

File server stays on 24/7.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I have an old Intel Gateway as my file server and a mac mini as HTPC and I keep both on at all times. I know, probably not best practice but I have noticed my wake on lan on windows mac mini is very unstable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does your HTPC run all the time?0