OS X how to make mac mini receive IR from harmony 650?
hi, i've read many posts.. and often confusing. i'm trying to setup logitech harmony 650 use with mac mini(2012) and xbmc Frodo RC3.
but would like to get started at the very beginning.. how to make mac mini receive and respond to IR signal? tried many times to pair with harmony in the system preference under security and privacy advanced option, but nothing is happening. i've setup harmony adding a device Computer-->Media PC-->Apple-->Mac Mini. on the remote screen under Mac device i can only see Unpair and Pair buttons.

i've also setup harmony add device Plex (to control xbmc, so i've read) but obviously nothing happening because i think.. i think, mac is not even receiving IR signals. just point the remote at it right?

any suggestions appreciated.
Try FLIRC
Flirc is great, but it should be possible with the hardware he has already. I don't know why it's not working, though. A debug log (wiki) (with debugging on) might tell us. Turn debugging on, press buttons on the remote, then upload the debug log to a site like pastebin or http://xbmclogs.com The log file will tell us if XBMC even sees any IR signals that it can use.
- Add "Plex Player" profile to your Harmony
- Enable Harmony remote support in XBMC (System - System - Input devices - Apple remote = Harmony
- Start using it, you don't need pairing
dont try flirc for this...

set it up as plex media PC, enable harmony support on XBMC and it shoudl work fine. also enable "Allow start of XBMC using remote".

EDIT: toiva beat me to it Smile
In my experience its flaky getting the remote going. Goto settings then system then remote and choose harmony, and also allow opening of XBMC button.

Then quit XBMC

Then open activity monitor and find XBMC help, force quit it.

Then restart XBMC, and the remote should be working now.

Obviously make sure that the mini is allowing incoming remote controls from the security prefs.
thanks. i've tried the suggestions above, still not working. suspect mac mini is not receiving IR signals. no matter what i do there's no indication at all mac is responding to IR.
i'm also checking on mac forums. last resort is to bring mac down to store.
In OSX "System Prefs > Security & Privacy > Advanced", Make sure that "Disable Remote . . ." is not checked, and that the computer is not paired with any remote.

As several have noted, with the Harmony software: Set up a new Device as "Computer > Media Center PC > Plex > Plex Player". Don't set it as a Mac Mini, it won't work.

Then you will probably want to set up an activity using that device, as well as your tv and receiver. Make sure you choose that activity in the remote when you're ready.

In XBMC: "System > Settings > System > Input devices"
Set "Apple Remote" to "Multi Remote (Harmony)" (may take many tries, say yes to warning each time)
Set "Remote control sends keyboard presses" to ON

It will work.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Hi Folks. I am recently programming a Harmony One remote to control my home theater configuration and I am stuck on the same thing. I can't get the Harmony One to talk to my XBMC running on Windows 8 on my Mac Mini. I have a regular MCE IR receiver, which works with the MCE remote but not with the Harmony. I have also have a Flirc which the Harmony won't talk to either.

In this thread you say to set the input device but when I go to that portion of the XBMC menus (System/Input Devices) I don't see any parameter to set the remote type (Frodo 12.1). I only see parameters for 1) Remote send keyboard commands, 2) Enable mouse and touchpad support, and 3) Enable game controller/joystick support.

If I can get this last piece working I will be done with my Harmony remote programming finally and can actually enjoy using my system.

Can someone please give me some advice. I originally suspected that perhaps the IR receiver that came with my MCE remote is not IR6 compatible. I am not sure. However, I presumed that the Flirc would be easy to get going with the Harmony. But so far, no joy.

HelpHuhHuh Thanks.
Maybe it is because you're using Windows on a Mac mini and a 3rd party IR receiver? Here's what I get using OS X and the built-in IR receiver:

Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
i still havent get it to work too.
but my problem is, i think, the mac mini. don't know how macmini receives and respond to IR signals. there's not an indication so far that the mini has this capability. or cld be my plain luck that i got a lemon mini. mini lemon.
(2013-04-27, 07:18)foxxkat Wrote: don't know how macmini receives and respond to IR signals.
It has a little IR receiver window right by the sleep light.

(2013-04-27, 07:18)foxxkat Wrote: there's not an indication so far that the mini has this capability. or cld be my plain luck that i got a lemon mini.
Thousands of people on this forum use it. And if you look on Apple's technical specs, you will find there that it has an IR receiver.

Maybe you have a lemon, or maybe you don't have things set up right. To find out you will have to get into specifics on all your relevant settings, including all the Harmony program settings.
(2013-04-27, 16:31)Glorious1 Wrote:
(2013-04-27, 07:18)foxxkat Wrote: don't know how macmini receives and respond to IR signals.
It has a little IR receiver window right by the sleep light.

(2013-04-27, 07:18)foxxkat Wrote: there's not an indication so far that the mini has this capability. or cld be my plain luck that i got a lemon mini.
Thousands of people on this forum use it. And if you look on Apple's technical specs, you will find there that it has an IR receiver.

Maybe you have a lemon, or maybe you don't have things set up right. To find out you will have to get into specifics on all your relevant settings, including all the Harmony program settings.

Hm. Everything works with the harmony, but turning on the mini with it. Can turn it off though.
Am I missing something?
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Intel NUC 4250U (Haswell) in Abel H2 chassis, Philips 55OLED804
You can't turn on the mini with it as far as I know, although I would like to be wrong about that. I just let mine sleep. You can wake it up and you can start XBMC with the MENU button.

How do you turn the mini off?
You configure the Plex Player profile to send a sleep command when it's not in use. Device - settings - power settings or something like that.

And you can turn it on just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to make mac mini receive IR from harmony 650?0