Linux Openelec, XBMCbuntu or something else?
Hello,

I am a long time user of Mediaportal and have had a go at connecting one of my client PCs with Openelec as opposed to the regular Mediaportal client via windows.

I am running things on a Acer Revo Aspire R3610 and the improvements are huge - everything is massively more snappy.

I am still getting to grips with XBMC in general but I was wondering whether Openelec is the best version to be using - I have heard that there are some advanrages of using XBMC based on a distro, for example XBMCbuntu.

What do you guys think?

One of the reasons I have heard is that Openelec, once the Mediaportal add on is added, only allows one method for streaming.

What do you guys think?

Thanks v much.
Sorry, should just clarify what I mean - in proper XBMC, you get the option of two streaming methods:

1. TSReader and 2. ffmpeg

Whereas you only get the second option in Openelec. Is this a major drawback - i.e. what are the differences between these two and which is preferable?
TSReader gives a better performance and less playback artifacts compared to the buggy rtsp implementation in ffmpeg.
TSReader uses SMB shares for timeshift/recording playback, whereas ffmpeg uses rtsp streaming.

OpenElec + TSReader will supported in OpenElec Frodo.
For Eden, you have to compile the addon yourself (using the sources from my github repository instead of the opdenkamp version for Eden).
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Openelec, XBMCbuntu or something else?0