Win First HTPC - Multi Computer Setup
Little about me before I start:
I have a BS in comp sci and work in a highly technical environment. I have lots of experience building powerful machines, engineering systems, and some minor experience coding. I have never raided, networked beyond sharing a folder and mstsc, and have very little knowledge in regards to media processing/storage.

So I finally have the money I need for an htpc setup. I need some help/recommendations. My intended setup is multi-computer. The 3 listed below are the primary devices. There are also XBOXs and roommates that I am allowing read-only access.

1) A standalone lightweight box for the tv using IGPU/APU connected to the tv.
2) A headless server/NAS for storage.
3) My desktop for remote desktop to server and ripping/stripping video, music, etc to be place on the server

I was planning on running either XBMC or Plex. I am leaning towards XBMC with a multilink SQL server setup.

1) The standalone box will be used for playing media from the server. Processing of video and audio should all take place on the machine. May add an emulator/steam XBLA games/party games, but nothing serious. Netflix, Hulu, internet and some other lightweight features will be added. This box will sleep when not in use.

General specs:
I3-3220 or 3225
Mobo (Requirements: sata 3/gig Ethernet/matx/hdmi)
8Gb (2x4) Samsung super ram
128GB SSD
Case – TBD (I want an all metal case not sure on form factor yet)
Windows 8
80 cert silver+ psu
Some low power GPU - added later
Debating on adding an optical drive

Would like sound to initially be sent through TV, but in time, will be sent through a receiver to speakers

2) The server will need 24 HDD (+SSD for OS and a cache drive) capacities and enough computing processing power to handle the raid setup. Must have enough bandwidth to stream 2 1080p movies, 2 users music, and 2 users TV. I am also considering having this stream through the web somehow to allow me access to content when not at home. This box will be in a closet/hidden so any noise should be masked. This will either be the “hack” XBMC or Plex server as well. Not all users will go through XBMC, some can just fetch data how they choose. This box will run 24/7.

General specs:
CPU I5-2405S
Mobo (Probably matx|| Requirements gig Ethernet)
RAM Samsung (8 or 16gb)
RAID HDDs 3TB WD Red (Initially 8)
1x 1TB Black (Cache drive while waiting to load to raids)
1x 128GB SSD (OS)
NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case with 24 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays
Raid Controller(s) (3-600 for card(s))
TV Tuner - Possibly added Later
OS: TBD (Thinking Windows 7 64 Ultimate or Windows 8 because I have them and every device on the network is Windows based. Most likely FLEXraid for drive software)

HDD Configuration:
2x Raid 1 (Music/Photos/Encrypted Personal)
6x Raid 6 TV Series Storage (Initially 3drive raid 5)
10x Raid 6 Movies Storage (Initially 3drive raid 5)
2x Raid 1 NVR (Added later)
Few Spare Bays for future expansion

3)Desktop – No help needed here, but I will list specs
I7-3770k @4.8Gh
Asus Maximus Gene V
HD7970 DCII @ 1225/1750
16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite RAM @ 2133 9-9-??-9 T1 (I think that’s the timing)
Plextor M3 Pro 256 (OS+Programs+Other)
2x Crucial M4 512 (Games+Other)
Lian Li A05NB (Heavily modded and water cooled)
Schiit Bifrost > Schiit Valhalla > Sennheiser HD650
Kingwin LZP650

Questions:
1)I intend to use stripped ISOs as space isn't a huge concern. Will this work in this setup?
2)I really want the server to be primarily a NAS, with the streaming power to be for only if I setup an external site for when I am not home.
3)Is this a correct assessment? In order to set up a XBMC server/client, I need to install XBMC on my server with minimal configuration. Just link the data to a SQL server. The I setup a second (or more) install on the htpc (other comps) and do a full configuration with plugins, skins, etc. Then point the non server PC(s) to the server’s SQL server. Whenever I add a video to the NAS/server, XBMC on the server should detect the file and add it to the database. Likewise, all “clients” should be updated.
4)Suggestions on the computer specs? Run an I3 for the server too? Does FLEXraid + XBMC/Plex server setup require much ram, or is 8GB fine?
5)Are there any issues with running Plex and XBMC on the same machine? XBMC for home use and Plex for external and non-PC devices
6)If added, should I run a tuner card on the server then send it to the HTPC or should the htpc have this. If the htpc has this, then I would need to add additional storage and save anything to the server that I wanted to keep for longer periods (Debating not subscribing to the service after I move out of the current house, but roommates want a subscription)

Note: Per using 128GB SSDs for the OS drives, I see no reason not to. Small HDDs are generally 50, smaller SSDs are 60, and a deal on a 128 SSD is 70. The price difference isn't enough to limit performance and capacity in case of future need.
Forgot that I have a spare I5 2405s. This is probably the best option for the server vs buying an extra CPU. I also really like the Wesena E6 and E7 for the HTPC case. E7 is a little pricy, but I I do like the full size option.
Ok my musing.

1)I intend to use stripped ISOs as space isn't a huge concern. Will this work in this setup?

Yes

2)I really want the server to be primarily a NAS, with the streaming power to be for only if I setup an external site for when I am not home.

This isn't a question Tongue

3)Is this a correct assessment? In order to set up a XBMC server/client, I need to install XBMC on my server with minimal configuration. Just link the data to a SQL server. The I setup a second (or more) install on the htpc (other comps) and do a full configuration with plugins, skins, etc. Then point the non server PC(s) to the server’s SQL server. Whenever I add a video to the NAS/server, XBMC on the server should detect the file and add it to the database. Likewise, all “clients” should be updated.

No, by the looks of it you are only using XBMC on the HTPC, thus you would only install it there. No need to install XBMC on the NAS unless you are planning to use the plex streaming addon.

4)Suggestions on the computer specs? Run an I3 for the server too? Does FLEXraid + XBMC/Plex server setup require much ram, or is 8GB fine?

FlexRaid has low requirements. I am running it on a A6-3500 with 4GB and its more than plenty. Really you can drop your NAS CPU down, a i3 2220T would probably be a good choice.

Regarding the HTPC i'd go a AMD APU as the iGPU is much better and they are cheaper.

5)Are there any issues with running Plex and XBMC on the same machine? XBMC for home use and Plex for external and non-PC devices

Should be ok, but I have not tried it.

6)If added, should I run a tuner card on the server then send it to the HTPC or should the htpc have this. If the htpc has this, then I would need to add additional storage and save anything to the server that I wanted to keep for longer periods (Debating not subscribing to the service after I move out of the current house, but roommates want a subscription)

I don't run tuner but my understanding is it would have to be on the HTPC.

Thing to remember, XBMC is primary a think client. It runs only on the PC it is on but it can play remote content, this is just remote access not streaming. Plex on the other hand can stream its content from the server, this is handy if you are running thin clients.
(2013-01-09, 01:31)Kazimir Wrote: Questions:

Bluray ISO's? I wouldnt count on it. My 100Mbit network cant even keep up when accessing ~10 GByte x264 HD rips from a network share and it results in severe stuttering. I assume you will use gigabit ethernet, but in reality thats typically only ~2 faster than 100Mbit and the problem is not just throughput, its related to buffering. In theory it should work (you "only" need ~54Mbps), but in reality, I wouldnt be too sure and at least you will need to pay attention to your routers/switches and make sure they have adequate queue buffer memory.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC - Multi Computer Setup0