Questions for and Suggestions from you guys
This is silly, but I can't seem to find any confirmation that the HDMI outputs on a HTPC with a ASRock Socket FM1/AMD A75 FCH Mobo with an AMD A4-3400 would carry the audio signal as well. I just wanted to confirm this fact prior to purchasing/building.

With that Mobo and CPU running XBMCbuntu, I will be able to rip DVD's and Blurays with a BR drive, correct? I know XBMC has some issues playing Blurays, but I believe I can still rip them using handbrake.

New at this and trying to build a decent HTPC. Below is a list of my planned purchases:

Mobo: ASRock Socket FM1/AMD A75 FCH
CPU: AMD A4-3400
HDD: WD Green Caviar 1 TB
Mem: 8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
Case: MI-008
DVD Drive: Lite On 12x Internal SATA BD Writer
Add a Case Fan and external Wireless Adapter and thats it.

My plan is to run XBMCbuntu on this system. I want to primarily stream Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc plus begin to rip my DVD/BD collection. Do you have any suggested changes prior to moving forward?
If you search here for "A6-PACK" you'll find many many happy XBMC'ers with the A6-3500/A75M-ITX. If you can budget the few extra dollars for the A6-3500, you'll see that it works very well for everything you're looking to do and there's a LOT of experience here with that setup so you'll get a lot of support, find a lot of answers, etc.

The A6-3500 is really the Llano sweet-spot.

BTW, tried to answer your PM but you have PM disabled so I am unable to respond.

j72bronco Wrote:1. The hdmi output will carry audio on the A6-pack HTPC, right?

Yes, even HD audio bitstreams like Dolby True-HD and DTS Master Audio can be carried.

j72bronco Wrote:2. I am willing to pay additional for the A6-3500, however I am worried about size. Will it fit in the same space as an A4
CPU? If the heatsink is larger it will be a problem in the MI-008 case.

The stock CPU cooler is smaller than the Intel stock CPU cooler which is a perfect fit in the MI-008 so it will fit. If for some reason it would not though or you want a better cooler, there are plenty of good low profile aftermarket options.

j72bronco Wrote:3. I have looked in the other forums and can't find much on the A6 going on a iTX Mobo, is this something I should avoid?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128009 (among many others). It's a well proven build with a lot of happy XBMC'ers
I am a new HTPC/XBMC user (as of a few days ago), and I have the exact build you mention in your OP, except I am using Windows 8 Pro for my OS. With the A4-3400, the system is plenty powerful but of course it is always a good idea to buy as much processor as you can (and that will still fit in that case). I am using HDMI for video and audio to my Denon 2311ci, and it sounds fantastic!

I have a Cougar silent 120 mm fan in my MI-008, that is just press fit into the side of the case. This is really a great HTPC system and a cool form factor. Have fun!
(2013-01-10, 21:41)Yukonhijack Wrote: I have a Cougar silent 120 mm fan in my MI-008, that is just press fit into the side of the case. This is really a great HTPC system and a cool form factor. Have fun!

Great tip. When I had the Rosewill version of this case (there are many version with different facades) I did the same. I replaced the power supply with a picoPSU and later put it back when I turned it into an office PC for someone and it was still going strong. Having that 120mm fan in the side made a huge difference in temps. I think mine was a Scythe either the 800rpm or 1200rpm model.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions for and Suggestions from you guys0