Minimalistic 5.1 amplifier - Does it exist?
I was looking at the amp 6x100W that needed an hdmi type of interface on the first post and the links I posted would accomplish what the OP was looking for including up to DTS-MA and DD TRUE-HD except for the external knob type volume control. As far as volume control I use my MCE remote or phone app through XBMC/Kodi, even for my TV since I use a CC from Comcast and HD Home Run Prime. XBMC controls my whole viewing and listening experience.
If you are passing audio through then kodi cannot control the volume.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
This has been an very interesting hunt for me. I specifically built my HTPC years ago with the MSI Media Live Diva motherboard due to it having it's own 7.1 amp card built in and the speakers could wire to it. It was so stinking perfect and of coarse too good to be true. The board had problems and I had it replaced 5 times due to failing components over the years.

I now have a normal reliable motherboard with this dilema. I hate receivers, insanly antiquated, overly packed with features, look like crap, and don't do anything great unless you pay thousands. I just want an amp! I think I did finally find a really good solution and I'm about to order it. It's the Dared DV-6C hybrid amp. http://www.dared.us/productimages/DV-6C_1.htm . It looks pretty awesome, super small, and does audio better than any normal receiver that is not a few thousand.
HTPC Specs:
95w 3 core AMD Phenom 8750 2.4GHz / MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 (MS-7411) Motherboard / On-board ATI Radeon HD3200 / On-board preamp 5.1 sound card / 4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 / 8GB SDRAM / CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W / SILVERSTONE Media Center HTPC Case / 1080p 42" Dynex LCD \ 5.1 Polk Audio Surround Sound - RM6750

Details of my fully automated, virtual Windows 7, HTPC setup here
(2015-03-31, 20:42)nickr Wrote: If you are passing audio through then kodi cannot control the volume.

Not entirely true. If you have CEC control of your amp, then Kodi can send CEC Vol+/Vol- commands over HDMI to your amp, so your Kodi Vol+/Vol- buttons control the volume of your amp - even when bitstreaming/passing through. It's the only bit of CEC I use.
(2015-10-10, 16:00)Flook Wrote: This has been an very interesting hunt for me. I specifically built my HTPC years ago with the MSI Media Live Diva motherboard due to it having it's own 7.1 amp card built in and the speakers could wire to it. It was so stinking perfect and of coarse too good to be true. The board had problems and I had it replaced 5 times due to failing components over the years.

I now have a normal reliable motherboard with this dilema. I hate receivers, insanly antiquated, overly packed with features, look like crap, and don't do anything great unless you pay thousands. I just want an amp! I think I did finally find a really good solution and I'm about to order it. It's the Dared DV-6C hybrid amp. http://www.dared.us/productimages/DV-6C_1.htm . It looks pretty awesome, super small, and does audio better than any normal receiver that is not a few thousand.
Very interesting product. Hate the remote though. Pity it only goes to 5.1.

What soundcard do you propose to use?

What inputs exactly does it have?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-10-10, 16:00)Flook Wrote: This has been an very interesting hunt for me. I specifically built my HTPC years ago with the MSI Media Live Diva motherboard due to it having it's own 7.1 amp card built in and the speakers could wire to it. It was so stinking perfect and of coarse too good to be true. The board had problems and I had it replaced 5 times due to failing components over the years.

Very interesting... But I think that it hasn't the SPDIF input and in my case using an Android TV box, I think that it's needed in addition an optical/analog converter Sad

At this moment my first choice is for this product
vsx-s510 even if I'm still looking for other solution
(2016-08-28, 00:09)pijo1971 Wrote:

Very interesting... But I think that it hasn't the SPDIF input and in my case using an Android TV box, I think that it's needed in addition an optical/analog converter Sad

At this moment my first choice is for this product
vsx-s510 even if I'm still looking for other solution 
The VSX-S510 is indeed a good option. I also like the Yamaha R-S202BL a lot, and there are a lot of closely related or comparable products.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimalistic 5.1 amplifier - Does it exist?0