Vandy's FlexRAID build thread - I don't really know what I'm doing
This is the first of two build threads for me, the second will be my living room HTPC. I certainly won't be breaking any new ground in these threads but I figure it's a small way of paying back all those who have forged the trail previously and help anyone else who might be coming along. There will be blood. There will be sweat. There will be tears. I've never build a rig from scratch before so it's going to be interesting and potentially entertaining (that is, if you'll enjoy watching me fumble around building this). This thread is also to hold myself accountable for getting this build done, even if it does take awhile.

Uses:
- media server, streaming and transcoding on the fly
- backend for my TV recordings
- ripping DVDs and BRs
- maybe some apps down the road

- Windows 8. I got a free copy with the new router I picked up a few weeks ago on Newegg. I'll be putting FlexRAID on top of it. Not interested in storage spaces.

Parts:
[CASE] Fractal Design Define XL - $149.99 - discontinued now, I got lucky - it came back in stock for a few days and I jumped on it. This is the original XL, the XL R2 has a couple less drive bays.
[MOBO]AS Rock PRO4-M LGA1155 Intel H77
[CPU] Intel Core i3-3225 - $136.99
[Power Supply] TBD
[RAM] TBD
[HDD/SSD] TBD
[BD-ROM] TBD
[FANS?] TBD

Notes/Questions:
I have a lot of TBDs at the moment. That's because I don't really know what I'm doing.

UPDATE: Traded in the Fractal Design R4 for the XL which miraculously came back in stock at Newegg for a day. So that's cool. Also picked up my MB and CPU combo so all set there.
Some further thinking on cases, short of modding the R4 to do something crazy/cool, the NZXT WHISPER is looking like a good option. Bummer is I can only find refurbs online and they are only USB2 compatible. I guess it's also an option to sit tight and wait a few weeks for the Define XL R2 to be released.
whats wrong with the r4 it looks nice to me
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2013-01-14, 06:09)lagledavid Wrote: whats wrong with the r4 it looks nice to me

Oh it's a solid case for sure, I'm just trying to maximize drive bays, lest I have regret down the road. So it seems the R4 will max out at 9 (8 3.5 and 1 drive in a 5.25, I need the other for an optical drive). Also thinking about something like the Antec Twelve Hundred V3 since that can be maxed out to 16 according to eskro's thread. Was just hoping to avoid that many 4-in-3 drive cages.
What kind of storage space do you need right now? And what are your predicted storage growth requirements?

Don't forget that drives get bigger so 9 bays can fit a max of 36TB currently, but within 3 years there will probably be 8TB drives and so on.
(2013-01-14, 15:53)voochi Wrote: What kind of storage space do you need right now? And what are your predicted storage growth requirements?

Don't forget that drives get bigger so 9 bays can fit a max of 36TB currently, but within 3 years there will probably be 8TB drives and so on.

True, I guess I was figuring 3TB drives right now since they're in the sweet spot as far as price goes. Also, if I add up all the external drives I have laying around that I would probably crack open and put in this rig, I have over 10 already.
UPDATE: so I'm going to return the R4 case I have and wait it out for the XL R2 release in a week or two. Why? Well the XL R2 has room for a few extra drives by being able to use a 4-in-3 cage whereas the R4 doesn't. One thing I'm wondering, would it be possible to add 2 more of these cages (or some other cage/bay) right next to the main column of 8 drive bays to create a second column? I assume I'd have to use a smaller motherboard to allow for the room, mini ITX maybe?

Tongue 
OK, so I still don't really know what I'm doing but I FINALLY have a case. Got lucky and the XL (the original, not the XL R2) came back in stock on Newegg and I jumped on it. It has arrived:

Next up, I think I've got an idea on which motherboard, previous threads have suggested the ASRock H77. That seems to make sense but I don't know the differences between the different PCI Express slots (3.0,2.0, x16, x1, etc.) Does it matter? Based on this pic, there are also different SATA ports, 6GB and 3GB.

I was under the impression it had 8 SATA ports and that will be good because then I only need one add-on card for more ports. Thoughts?
This is the worst, longest build thread ever. Make sure to subscribe Laugh
The motherboard looks really nice, but I think you could also consider the asrock b75m, which also has 8 sata ports but is fairly cheaper

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75M/?cat=Specifications

About the pci-express ports, you shouldn't worry too much. For an unraid machine they'll be fine, whatever they are.
(2013-02-03, 10:29)PatrickVogeli Wrote: The motherboard looks really nice, but I think you could also consider the asrock b75m, which also has 8 sata ports but is fairly cheaper

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75M/?cat=Specifications

About the pci-express ports, you shouldn't worry too much. For an unraid machine they'll be fine, whatever they are.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check this board out right now.
For the SATA ports, 3GB vs. 6GB doesn't matter since no harddrive will saturate even the 3GB connection right? The 6GB is more for an SSD?
I noticed in your first post that you want to get 14 drives in a XL. You can actually get 16 drives in a XL if you need it.
I'm using the 10 standard bays plus the 5.25-3.5 converter and a 3x5 caddy.
(2013-02-04, 10:56)T800 Wrote: I noticed in your first post that you want to get 14 drives in a XL. You can actually get 16 drives in a XL if you need it.
I'm using the 10 standard bays plus the 5.25-3.5 converter and a 3x5 caddy.

Interesting. I already ordered a 3x4 caddy and I need the topmost 5.25 bay for an optical drive. I had the case open yesterday and was actually thinking it would be posible to get an enclosure like this: http://www.moddiy.com/products/5%252din%...osure.html and situate it right next to the 4 upper 3.5 drives, on the "shelf" if you will. Not sure how feasible this actually is though.
I would say that would depend on the power cables and cooling. I turned my drives around so I didn't have to deal with getting the stiff power cables through the side and then double back on themselves into the drives.
As you can see in the pic below with some cable modification it might work. I've recently fitted massive after market coolers on my unRAID so I'm not sure there would be room in mine. I don't see why a smaller number of drives wouldn't fit sat on their ends:

(2013-02-05, 09:14)T800 Wrote: I would say that would depend on the power cables and cooling. I turned my drives around so I didn't have to deal with getting the stiff power cables through the side and then double back on themselves into the drives.
As you can see in the pic below with some cable modification it might work. I've recently fitted massive after market coolers on my unRAID so I'm not sure there would be room in mine. I don't see why a smaller number of drives wouldn't fit sat on their ends:

Thanks T800, I remember reading your build thread now, it's what convinced me to get the XL, which I finally did. Have almost all the pieces now. Is this the power supply you have? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817139026
Will that be enough to power 14 drives down the road? Or should I bump up to the 600 watt?
Looks like the same one to me. I was told it would be enough. t's currently running 13 drives now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vandy's FlexRAID build thread - I don't really know what I'm doing1