Bug TVDB Fails to scrape episode-names with .dot
Bug 
The TVDB V1.4.5 scraper wont even attempt to scrape with Episode names containing . [dot]
Even though on TVDB the Episodes are named with 2.0 and 3.0 it just will not do anything.

Scraper Version 1.4.5
XBMC Version RC3 20131001-9e7d52f31

Create dummy files and below and pull context menu -> information it will fail fro the scrape to work the . [dot] must be removed.

For e.g. Fail

Code:
Nikita.S01E02.2.0.mkv
TVDB episode link

Code:
Nikita.S03E01.3.0.mkv
TVDB episode link

For e.g. Success

Code:
Nikita.S01E02.20.mkv

Code:
Nikita.S03E01.30.mkv

After removing the dot the file is scraped and it only then adds the dot to filename in library.

Correctly should handle . [dot] in filenames since it actually is the way it is named both on TVDB website.

uNi

I am starting to get convinced this "bug" happens only where the episodenames contains number(s)with a dot in between the numbers.

For e.g.

Code:
Elementary.S01E12.M..mkv
The scraper picks up just fine

uNi
This isn't a bug. It's yet another undocumented feature in Frodo.

Frodo supports split-episode numbering, i.e. when a show has each episode as multiple parts, theTVDB will list each part as a separate "episode". In Aired order, they'll be numbered sequentially, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., but in DVD order they'll likely be grouped by episode, numbered as 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, etc. (see, for example, Adventure Time).

What that means is that if you have DVD order on in the TVDB scraper you can now use numbering such as S01E02.2 and it will match the second part of the second episode (assuming the episode is split). Of course, XBMC can only go by the episode guide it retrieves, so if it thinks your file is episode 2.2, it won't match it against anything else (which is why your files aren't scraping).

(XBMC only allows for up to 9 parts, so S01E02.20 will just match as episode 2, not episode 2 part 20)

You can also use the letters a-i to mark the parts, e.g. S01E02b.
No its not DVD order or multipart anything its the actual episode names or names of episodes --- if you check the links on first post,

Its not part of multipart episodes I know how this works, I write the documentation for xbmc wiki.

If you look at tvdb its

Episode 1 - Nikita.S01E01.Pilot.extension
Episode 2 - Nikita.S01E02.2.0..extension << That fails with that naming must remove dot from 2.0 (two point zero actual episode name) making it 20 (twenty) which is wrong name
Episode 3 - Nikita.S01E03.Kill Jill.extension

Episode 1 - Nikita.S03E01.3.0.extension << That fails with that naming. That fails with that naming must remove dot from 3.0 (three point zero actual episode name) to 30 (thirty) which is wrong name
Episode 2 - Nikita.S03E02.Innocence.extension
Episode 3 - Nikita.S03E03.True Believer.extension

Scraper is set without DVD order or absolute ordering , the episodes names is actually 2.0 and 3.0 that doesn't work! AN dfurther its only affected when numbers are present in episode name and dots in between.

please double check creating the dummy files and you will see it happens as I say, no other TVDB scraper for e.g. therenamer hangs with the episode naming 2.0 or 3.0

uNi
I'm not saying you're wrong, the file won't match, I know. I'm just saying it's not a bug, just a flaw in that file name.

Follow me carefully here...

XBMC sees the file name Nikita.S01E02.2.0.mkv.
It then uses the (default) tvshowmatching regexps against that file name.
The match it makes is to the "S01E02.2" part of the name.
This is regardless of your scraper settings.
XBMC thinks your file is Season 1 Episode 2.2.
XBMC then uses the scraper to retrieve a list of episodes from theTVDB.
The numbering used in that list depends on your scraper settings.
But either way there is no Season 1 Episode 2.2 for Nikita.
So no match gets made.

Imagine if some TV show decided to title it's first episode "S01E02", would you consider it a bug for XBMC to interpret a file name of "TV.show.S01E01.S01E02.extension" as being two episodes?
(The correct answer is "no").
Now I know thats nonsense Wink though I know what your talking about, sadly...

If I name the files

Nikita.S01E02.2.mkv. << see remove the dot and zero XBMC will still not match.
Nikita.S03E02.3.mkv << see remove the dot and zero XBMC will still not match.

If XBMC was doing right it should match like above and does not... only 20/30

TheMoviedatabase had same bug (which was fixed incdidentally) with filenames with dots like S.W.A.T. this is exactly the same problem.

Anyway I can see were this is going, no need to worry. I can work around it and document that limitation/bug

uNi
(2013-01-11, 23:21)uNiversal Wrote: If I name the files

Nikita.S01E02.2.mkv. << see remove the dot and zero XBMC will still not match.
Nikita.S03E02.3.mkv << see remove the dot and zero XBMC will still not match.

If XBMC was doing right it should match like above and does not... only 20/30

Why would you think removing the dot and the zero would have any effect?
Like I said, the part that matches is the "S01E02.2" and that's all still there.
You can try using blanks instead of periods as delimiters so the scraper doesn't get confused by the period imbedded in the episode title. I tried the following names and the episodes scraped correctly from TVDB:
Code:
Nikita S01E02 2.0.mkv
Nikita S03E01 - 3.0.mkv

I'm not suggesting changing your naming convention of using periods as delimiters for all your file names, but just for the few problematic ones that have the period as an actual character in the episode title itself.
This format also works, so you'd only have to replace the period in-between the SxxExx and the problematic episode title:
Code:
Nikita.S03E01 3.0.mkv
Well I have resolved the problem however periods should not be a problem no matter where they are, but I guess Im alone on that.

I use therenamer to make sure file naming conventions always match and that uses TVDB as well! but in these cases XBMC cant hack it and to be honest no one cant be expected to change settings on things that work 99.9999% of time and keep track of these features.

Anyway now I know there is a limitation/bug I can document it and recommend no one use periods as a delimiter and use some other delimiter until a developer gets the same problem and decides like thmoviedb scraper fix it so it matches 100% cases instead.

Thanks art for the workarounds I have some idea what to do in wiki now.

uNi
(2013-01-12, 01:00)uNiversal Wrote: Anyway now I know there is a limitation/bug I can document it and recommend no one use periods as a delimiter and use some other delimiter until a developer gets the same problem and decides like thmoviedb scraper fix it so it matches 100% cases instead.

I wouldn't go so far as to tell people not to use a period as a delimiter, since it is a valid and viable naming convention for XBMC (and may even avoid some file handling issues outside of XBMC due to embedded blanks in file names). However, I agree that a word of caution for these rare situations where a period appears in the title would be beneficial. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TVDB Fails to scrape episode-names with .dot0