New small HTPC setup
Hi there,

I could now sit down and google another couple of hours but instead I prefer to get some valuable opinions from people who really have a clue and dont want to sell.

My situation: I used to have an Antec Fusion Case with some AMD motherboard and onboard ATI HD 3200 if I remember correctly. Running Mediaportal 1.1.0 with Live-TV but mainly Full HD .MKV playback. I went abroad and eventually left the whole thing in Panama

Now that I am back in Germany since a year and it looks like there wont be a Jailbreak for my Apple TV 3 in the forseeable future I decided to head back to a proper selfmade HTPC.

What I want?
Nice looking small and quiet case (Apple Fan, so thinking Mac MINI style); Without display; optional MCE IR receiver would be great; Not so sure if the iPhone Apps are already good enough to take the whole control or if I will end up buying a Harmony once again
No big internal capacity; I will put the hard disks in some Synology NAS; the HTPC itself should have only some minor Flash storage/SSD for the OS
Bluray/Optical Drive (Slot it?)
Enough power fully enjoy a fluent interaction with the nicest skins and obviously FULL-HD and possibly 1080i Live-TV

What I came up with so far?
I started looking for Cases, because I for me (Design driven), this is the starting point of all HTPCs. I first found read about Wesena (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Wesena-ITX2-B-Blac...B0058HLEBE) and then stumbled over some Thread where people were saying that the successor company is called Streacom (http://www.streacom.com/products/fc8-evo...s-chassis/).
Those kind of cases obviously limit to mini ITX and I have no single experience with those.
Additionally I honestly have no clue of current proper CPU/Chipset preferences; Onboard GPUs and so on; I simply remember, back then the choice mattered big time with one GPU working great and another possibly even never didnt work flawless at all.
I am not religious, no matter if Intel or AMD, Nvidia or ATI, I take what you guys tell me its best

Any thoughts, recommendations, best practices? I am not at all narrow minded regarding the mentioned case; Its just an idea and a design direction I am looking for. Also, are there any known problems with having the Live-TV buffer HD on a NAS? I remember it definitely worked better if it was on another HD but over Network on a NAS?

Many thanks ahead for every hint you give me.
Cheers,
Steffen
What about this case?

Do you like black, silver or red?

These guys have some nice ITX cases:
http://www.inter-tech.de/index.php?optio...12&lang=en

Black or silver would be fine. White as well Wink
Hot Pink... please...
(2013-01-11, 22:29)Beer40oz Wrote: Hot Pink... please...

I only have one left and it has Hello Kitty on it -- is that ok? Wink Wink Wink

(2013-01-11, 22:09)s_behn Wrote: Black or silver would be fine. White as well Wink

I have several of the black and the silver will be in week after next. If you really want one you can PM me. Sending to Germany is no problem. Oh, and unlike the picture these have an IR window.
Done. I selected all parts and assembled it successfully. Here is what I got. I have to say, to have the first time in my life a pc without any moving parts is amazing. No noise not so ever...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New small HTPC setup0