HTPC Build SBS 3D/DTS-HD/True-HD Needed
So I am getting ready to order parts to build a new HTPC. I have been testing using a ZBox ID81 and my custom server but I am looking to build a new system. My absolute necessities are as follows:

SBS 3D
DTS-HD Master Audio
Dolby True-HD
Potentially Hulu Plus

Potential System Specs:
Intel Core i3 3225 3.3GHz LGA 1155
MSI B75MA-E33 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB) 8GB DDR3-1333
SSD - Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC064D/AM 64GB SATA 6.0Gb/s
CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum skin MILO Series ML03B Media Center Case

I planned to use the Intel integrated graphics assuming I am able to passthrough bitstream over the onboard HDMI. I play absolutely no games and store all my media on my server. This system will only be used as an htpc with no other purposes. I am open to any suggestions but if this will do what I want then I am fine with my choices.
(2013-01-12, 06:42)mobias1313 Wrote: So I am getting ready to order parts to build a new HTPC. I have been testing using a ZBox ID81 and my custom server but I am looking to build a new system. My absolute necessities are as follows:

SBS 3D
DTS-HD Master Audio
Dolby True-HD
Potentially Hulu Plus

Potential System Specs:
Intel Core i3 3225 3.3GHz LGA 1155
MSI B75MA-E33 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB) 8GB DDR3-1333
SSD - Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC064D/AM 64GB SATA 6.0Gb/s
CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum skin MILO Series ML03B Media Center Case

I planned to use the Intel integrated graphics assuming I am able to passthrough bitstream over the onboard HDMI. I play absolutely no games and store all my media on my server. This system will only be used as an htpc with no other purposes. I am open to any suggestions but if this will do what I want then I am fine with my choices.

I think that the integrated intel HD Graphics 4000 will work great for HD playback. I am not sure if you sill do any kick but 3D processing though.

Oh and screw Hulu Plus....too many great addons in XBMC to use hulu or netflix anymore. Dig around....and save your 8 bucks a month! Smile

Intel claims that the HD 4000 will work for the 3D and the dual core with hyper threading enabled I hoped would help. Worst case I could always add in an actual graphics card at some point if need be. Do you know if I will be able to pass through bitstream audio? That is one of my biggest concerns. My server passes it through on the nvidia graphics card and thus far it has been my only experience with passing bitstream audio.
Sorry I meant to add I had also considered the Core i5 3570K if I didn't go with the Core i3. It's not a huge price difference right now but I wasn't sure if it would really be worth the extra money if I am only using the system for XBMC.
(2013-01-12, 08:00)mobias1313 Wrote: Intel claims that the HD 4000 will work for the 3D and the dual core with hyper threading enabled I hoped would help. Worst case I could always add in an actual graphics card at some point if need be. Do you know if I will be able to pass through bitstream audio? That is one of my biggest concerns. My server passes it through on the nvidia graphics card and thus far it has been my only experience with passing bitstream audio.
Sorry I meant to add I had also considered the Core i5 3570K if I didn't go with the Core i3. It's not a huge price difference right now but I wasn't sure if it would really be worth the extra money if I am only using the system for XBMC.

I'm not an expert HTPC builder but i think your chip is fine. Have you thought of AMD chips? More bang for the buck!

Also as long as you have an HDMI cable 1.3 or later you won't have audio problems. Bit streaming just means the original audio stream is transmitted digitally in its original format to the receiver for decoding. Earlier HDMI standards 1.2 and 1.0 couldn't get the full power of blu-ray discs and made HTPC owners have to use other audio alternatives. The HDMI out on your motherboard should be more than capable of giving you what your looking for. Just ensure you have a new HDMI cable. 1.4 would be ideal.
All my HDMI cables are 1.4 so no problems there. I figured somebody would recommend and processors but honestly I dont touch them. They used to be the only thing I would buy but the compatibility issues I ran into time and again have completely turned me away. I know it would be cheaper but I don't want to have any hassles with compatibility issues.
Hi, can you tell us if the integrated graphic is compatible with 3D Blu Ray playback and Dolby True HD and DTS MA?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steve
Anything that plays 1080p will play 3D Half SBS. You are simply sending a 1080p stream, and the TV displays it as 3D.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The HD4000 GPU integrated into the i3-3225 supports "Full" frame-packed 3D as well.
(2013-08-01, 10:33)nickr Wrote: Anything that plays 1080p will play 3D Half SBS. You are simply sending a 1080p stream, and the TV displays it as 3D.

Hi Nick, thanks for your reply but I am using Total Media Theatre for Full 3D Blu Ray (ISO) playback so not half SBS. Do you know if this also works?
(2013-08-01, 16:22)smuller Wrote:
(2013-08-01, 10:33)nickr Wrote: Anything that plays 1080p will play 3D Half SBS. You are simply sending a 1080p stream, and the TV displays it as 3D.

Hi Nick, thanks for your reply but I am using Total Media Theatre for Full 3D Blu Ray (ISO) playback so not half SBS. Do you know if this also works?
Yes, that works great, using TMT5 myself with a HD 4000 chip and it plays Full (real) HD 3D (2x 1080p) without any problems. I use TMT5 as an external player with my 3D BR ISO's and BR rip's, only not i.c.w. XBMC.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2013-08-01, 16:22)smuller Wrote:

Sorry I don't know, I was responding to the request in post 1 for SBS.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Build SBS 3D/DTS-HD/True-HD Needed0