ATV2 or zotac?
Hi guys,
I'm about to take the plunge on buying some hardware to run xbmc... I'm considering either atv2 or zotac zbox AD-04 possibly running openelec. I'm looking for something easy to use mainly just for streaming on the main TV hooked up to a surround amp.
Theres not much between them pricewise as atv's seem to have increased in price of recent, so any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Oops, I think this should be in the hardware section...apologies
Definitely zbox AD-04. ATV2 is overpriced and not even in the same league compared to zbox AD-04.
Even ATV1+CHD+Linux is much better then ATV2.
(2013-01-13, 06:44)illiac4 Wrote: Definitely zbox AD-04. ATV2 is overpriced and not even in the same league compared to zbox AD-04.
Even ATV1+CHD+Linux is much better then ATV2.

+1
zbox AD-04 yup....
Part of the answer depends on what type of content you want to "stream". If you are streaming content from online services like Amazon Instant Video or Hulu or similar services, either device will work pretty well on up to 720p content. If you are wanting to stream content from a NAS on your local network, and some of that content is 1080p, you will likely have a better experience with the Zotac box. If you are wanting to stream Netflix, there are additional caveats to consider. You can stream Netflix through the "native" Apple software (not XBMC) as per normal, but you will not be able to use Netflix on the Zotac running Openelec. You could, however, install Windows on the Zotac box and use the XBMCFlicks Add-on to watch Netflix content.

I personally prefer the Zotac system over the ATV2. And I absolutely love running Openelec on my Zotac Zbox, especially in terms of how easy it is to update the system. I don't use Netflix, so that is not an issue for me. I hope this information ends up being helpful.
Thanks guys, I think the zotac looks like the way to go... I'm not going to use Netflix, so that's not going to be an issue.
There are lots of different zbox variants available... I think I've confused myself now more that I've looked into it... Are there any particular specs/models I should look out for, or more importantly avoid??
I wouldn't call the ATV2 overpriced (unless you're talking about purchasing an aftermarket jailbroken one, which certainly is).

But to echo what others have said, go with the Zotac. The ATV2 will not be the XBMC experience you're hoping for. If you want to use PLEX though, the ATV2 is plenty good. I have an ATV2 and it's nice, but the reason I built a dedicated HTPC was because it wasn't powerful enough.
(2013-01-13, 17:35)Gr8rtek Wrote: You could, however, install Windows on the Zotac box and use the XBMCFlicks Add-on to watch Netflix content.

XBMCFlicks is not a very good solution at all. I'd say if you want netflix go ATV2 otherwise Z-Box. Unless the Win8 Netflix Metro App gets it's act together.

ATV2 will be easier out of the box, Z-Box will be more customizable.
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
I'd go with Zotac ID80 based on D2700 and GT520. It will do everything and as i use linux only, it is fully supported under them.
Thanks guys... I've ordered an id84.. Should arrive in the next few days!
Ive been doing a fair bit of reading on here, now I think I need a really cheap server now to put my DVD collection on... I guess I've been bitten by the bug already LOL
I actually replaced a pair of Zotac ID40's with ATV2's. Why? Fan noise. The ATV2 is pretty much silent whereas the Zotacs were noisy little machines. The ID84 might be better.

I keep looking for a quiet 'appliance' to run XBMC on and IMHO ATV2 is still the best thing on the market until the Android and Pi bugs get worked out. I'd guess the OUYA will probably be my next upgrade.

As to a cheap server - HP N36L Microserver all the way. Just picked up a second one on eBay for $125.
I'm using Zbox ID80 and the fan noise is very very low, you can barely hear it only when there is no other noise in the room and only if you are near to the Zbox.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 or zotac?0