HD Video playback stuttering no sound?
Fresh install of XBMC on new hardware / software.

Hardware is a HP N40L with a ATi 5450 video card passing through audio and video. Audio is fine on all my SD stuff, HD stuff stutters and doesn't play audio at all. (Although I think this is a side effect of the stuttering.)

Software is WHS2011 using Shark007 codec with x64 components. XBMC is Frodo RC3 and is being piped out via HDMI straight to my TV which then passes audio through to the amp. The weird thing is running the same files in Windows Media Player is flawless, no stutter, sound is perfect not missing a beat. I'm wondering if maybe XBMC isn't using the codecs correctly? I assume once the movie starts there isn't much extra overhead from XBMC as it's all in the background and considering when I check my CPU useage etc when running the movies in WMP I don't seem to be close to maxing anything out I am wondering where I might be able to trouble shoot this. By "HD" I'm talking predominantly "720p" content 1280xwhatever so it's not overly large video. Are there any settings I should tinker with in the actual settings.
xbmc does not use external codecs. post a full debug log debug-log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
http://pastebin.com/gCKgwtkA

Opened video about 3/4 of the way down, search for Avatar if you want to see the decoding in question, it's the largest test file I have.
Further fiddling has shown that changing the audio source from HDMI to Analog seemed to fix the problem, my question is how can I confirm that it is still passing through 5.1 DTS / AC3 streams? I put my ear to each speaker and it sounded as if the sound was surround (not just forcing it all channels) but really hard to tell. If I run a debug when I play the file what should I be looking for specifically? Obviously analogue disables all these options but I am hoping this is simply because it is passing everything through regardless.

Seems if I disable all the decoding options for HDMI it works, WASAPI and direct sound make no difference, it might be because it's being piped to my TV before my amp and it doesn't like passing through a decoded signal....maybe......
Looking at your pastebin, (I am no windows guy believe me!) but it appears that xbmc only detects 2 audio devices, both of which only support two channels (FL,RF = front left, front right) - see right at the beginning of the file.

Quite why this would be so would be for someone more versed in windows than me - but would explain why setting to analog sorted it.

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hrmm the video card I bought this week and it says the following:

Quote:Integrated HD audio controller

Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

Could the support formats be as a result of the device I am plugged into (ie: the tv only supports 2 channels so that's all I'm getting?)

I sadly have to pass it through the TV as the receiver and TV don't play nice and give me weird video issues, I'll try AC3 and DTS etc with 2.0 and see if it works and will try and test more from there....
Unlikely with the combination that you have and the connection chain, that you will get anything other than 2.0 channel from your set-up (unless your receiver does pseudo 5.1 and creates a multi-channel surround mix from a stereo source).

Very few TV's are capable of passing through a DD stream and even fewer, if any can pass through DTS. If you can it would be better to connect via HDMI from PC > Receiver > TV.

Also have a look at the sticky on HD Audio in the Windows Forum, for some guidance on how best to set-up. Incorrect audio settings can produce the issues you describe.

EDIT - just saw your recent post - the issue surrounds all the hardware and the connections, although you have a video card that supports those formats, the method you choose to connect and send those streams doesn't.
I figured this was the case after running some tests. Definite sudo surround happening due to my amp. Unfortunately I don't receive picture to my TV if I go through my amp it was a long ongoing saga that appears to just be one of those quirks sadly can't find a fix for. I'm considering seeing if there is a way I can split the HDMI signal off the vid card so I can route sound directly to the amp or getting a low profile sound card that is pci-e 4x that does spdif or something. Atleast I can rule out software Smile
I've looked at your log and what's being reported to XBMC suggests the HDMI connection to your TV can only pass 2 channel LPCM, so it's not reporting that your TV is able to do DD or DTS passthrough.

Your options are either get a HDMI splitter so you can connect both the TV & receiver direct to the HTPC, but I'm not sure how reliable these are, or the other cheaper option would probably be to use either a optical or coax SPDIF connection direct to your receiver for audio.

(2013-01-14, 14:46)grnt Wrote: I figured this was the case after running some tests. Definite sudo surround happening due to my amp. Unfortunately I don't receive picture to my TV if I go through my amp it was a long ongoing saga that appears to just be one of those quirks sadly can't find a fix for. I'm considering seeing if there is a way I can split the HDMI signal off the vid card so I can route sound directly to the amp or getting a low profile sound card that is pci-e 4x that does spdif or something. Atleast I can rule out software Smile

You could also use a usb soundcatd that does spdif.
This is what I have done, grabbed a turtle beach one that does USB to toslink. It will do DTS and Dolby which will give me a good base to test it from, NFI how I'm getting to get the HD audio formats though but I guess I can sort that out later once I've confirmed working or not.
HD audio will not go through spdif/toslink. Ever. spdif is capable of:

LPCM 2 channels
DTS
AC3

That's it.
Yeah sorry I meant I don't know what other set up I will use to get HD formats (ie: HDMI Splitter, PCIE Soundcard with HDMI, another amp etc) but it's atleast a starting point.
It should be noted that you can playback files with HD audio but just not get the full effect over SPDIF, as TrueHD 7.1 will be decoded to DD 5.1 and DTS-MA 7.1 to DTS 5.1. This DD5.1 & DTS5.1 audio will still be superior to what was available on DVD.

As a comparison:

Blu-Ray TrueHD to DD 5.1 results in a 640kbps track
DVD DD 5.1 normally 448kbps

Blu-Ray DTS-MA to DTS 5.1 results in 1536kbps track
DVD DTS 5.1 normally 768kbps

Hi All,

I am facing the same problem, my setup is:

Intel NUC: i3 8 gig RAM HD4000 OS Ubuntu 13.10
Home Theater: Samsung F9750 (7.1)
LCD: Samsung Series 8

Connection Setup: NUC-->HT-->LCD
all are connected using HDMI

most of the videos (720 and 1080) play well but some do not, audio/video starts to stutter but becomes okay as soon as i switch the audio to analog.

Log file: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=108362

Regards,

Junaid

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Video playback stuttering no sound?0