Disk Recommendations
Hello there,

I am looking at getting a new NAS setup, currently I have a Seagate Blackarmor 3GB NAS which has outlived its usefulness and I am looking at getting an upgrade. I've pretty much decided on a Synology DS413J but I am not sure of the ideal disks to go with it. The Western Digital Red disks have been recommended to me but I am not sure if the 5900RPM speed would cause me any issues. My setup is straightforward I have an ASROCK Vision 3D Windows 7 workstation with XBMC 11 on it, accessing my NAS over a gigabit network and I'm mainly playing 1080p MKV.

Does anyone have any experience with these disks or recommend and reliable alternative?

Regards
check the compatibility list on the synology website to be sure they are compatible. There is a thread here someplace on the WD Red's - main benefit is recoverability. Though I have no idea if the way synology software works if it is able to take advantage of that or not.

On another note, I have a 2 disk snyo now with two 2gig WD Blacks - at the time I thought this would be plenty. Now, I had to add another 2gig WD Black in my main box for storage... Soon will need another.... I plan to try the 3tb WD Red.
Looks like the Syno you are talking about is about 400 bucks! For tht kind of money you can do an expandable server to grow with your storage needs. I wish I had gone that route to start with.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
(2013-01-14, 16:53)outatouch0 Wrote: Looks like the Syno you are talking about is about 400 bucks! For tht kind of money you can do an expandable server to grow with your storage needs. I wish I had gone that route to start with.
You can build a nice 15-bay unraid server for $400.

HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Thanks for the input, I think an Unraid server may be a little more than I require, I should get around 9TB of usable storage with 4 x 3TB in a raid 5 which should suffice for a significant amount of time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Red, from what I've read theyt seem the best option.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disk Recommendations0