usb hubs
Both the articles below recommend powered hubs.

USB 2.0, Hi-Speed USB FAQ
..."A powered hub is always preferable to unpowered."
..."Many USB devices don't work well on hubs. Cameras, scanners and especially USB drives are known to have problems with hub connectivity."
..."How does a USB hub slow down devices?
A USB hub has to re-calculate the time left before the next sof (end of the uframe); the small extra delay added by the hardware hub could make the transaction not handled as fast as a device directly connected to the host. If several devices are connected on the USB hub and working in parallel (for example, a webcam + a USB flash drive + a mouse), then the USB bandwidth is shared among the devices usage."

Adding USB Drives to a Raspberry Pi
"In order to expand storage capacity, you will need to connect a powered USB hub to one of your Pi USB jacks, and then connect the keyboard, mouse/trackpad (if any), and USB drive to the hub."

1) Sometimes this Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 works after power up and other times I have to unplug rPi one or more times to get it to see it again. Luckily I have xbmc on a USB stick to avoid corruption, which I learned the hard way. Could this be because I'm not using a powered hub? Is anyone else using this same keyboard with same issue? Anyone have an idea on how to remedy?

2) Will the speed of the USB stick (xbmc processes) be better off using a power hub?

3) BTW, does the size of the USB stick used for xbmc effect speed?

4) Are the USB ports on the rPi full or high speed?
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
1. I have a different wireless keyboard but had the same issue. Get a better power supply/hub.
2. The speed of your USB stick will not improve with a hub. But with a good power supply/hub, you can overclock your Pi and improve performance.
3. No.
4. USB 2.0
(2013-01-15, 02:20)CaptainKen Wrote: 1) Sometimes this Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 works after power up and other times I have to unplug rPi one or more times to get it to see it again. Luckily I have xbmc on a USB stick to avoid corruption, which I learned the hard way. Could this be because I'm not using a powered hub? Is anyone else using this same keyboard with same issue? Anyone have an idea on how to remedy?

The Raspberry Pi is drawing very minimal power from its mains supply: only 5 volts. That has to run both the computer and the USB peripherals. So an utterly plain USB keyboard is fine, but wireless is dodgy, and lit is right out, unless you get a powered USB hub, and then that can power the keyboard, letting the Pi look after itself.

Quote:4) Are the USB ports on the rPi full or high speed?
They're USB 2.0, "high" speed.

Thank you all for your replies!

I'm using a 1A power supply and have already overclocked the Pi via settings.

I'll get a powered hub per your recommendations. Anyone want to suggest a particular powered hub?
Verified hardware.
(2013-01-15, 23:35)doug Wrote: Verified hardware.

Very cool, thank you Doug!
(2013-01-15, 22:50)wimble Wrote:
(2013-01-15, 02:20)CaptainKen Wrote: 1) Sometimes this Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 works after power up and other times I have to unplug rPi one or more times to get it to see it again. Luckily I have xbmc on a USB stick to avoid corruption, which I learned the hard way. Could this be because I'm not using a powered hub? Is anyone else using this same keyboard with same issue? Anyone have an idea on how to remedy?

The Raspberry Pi is drawing very minimal power from its mains supply: only 5 volts. That has to run both the computer and the USB peripherals. So an utterly plain USB keyboard is fine, but wireless is dodgy, and lit is right out, unless you get a powered USB hub, and then that can power the keyboard, letting the Pi look after itself.

I've discovered that even if I plug the usb keyboard dongle directly into the Pi (not any kind of hub), that I have the same flaky results. Will getting a powered hub, and then plugging the dongle into the hub still be better for keyboard?
(2013-01-19, 22:19)CaptainKen Wrote:
(2013-01-15, 23:35)doug Wrote: Verified hardware.

Very cool, thank you Doug!
(2013-01-15, 22:50)wimble Wrote:

I've discovered that even if I plug the usb keyboard dongle directly into the Pi (not any kind of hub), that I have the same flaky results. Will getting a powered hub, and then plugging the dongle into the hub still be better for keyboard?

Yes ofcourse,
Quote:That has to run both the computer and the USB peripherals. So an utterly plain USB keyboard is fine, but wireless is dodgy, and lit is right out, unless you get a powered USB hub, and then that can power the keyboard, letting the Pi look after itself.
Thank you!
Ok, got the powered hub, fast SD Card and fast USB 3.0 as listed below. The Logitech K400 is still sporadic, where it takes multiple boots sometimes before it will work. Once it is working it's fine until some future random number of boots.

D-Link DUB-H7 High Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub

ADATA Superior Series S102 Pro 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (AS102P-16G-RGY)

SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s SDSDX-016G-X46

EDIT: I should mention that I have tried two Raspberry Pi's and two K400's, and the issue persists across them all.
As it turns out my issue is timing as well. As long as I wait to turn on the Logitech K400 keyboard, until any time after the R appears in the center and before XBMC is open, then it works every time without fail!!

Thanks to nsviper on his post for figuring it out with his similar issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
usb hubs0